250.50 Grounding electrode system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhanky

Am I correct to say that if a house has a cold water ground and I run a grounding electrode to it that I DO NOT need to also install a ground rod? Where I live inspectors like to see both a ground rod and a cold water grounding electrode connection, but after looking at article 250.50 are they going over the code minimum requirement. Thanks.

russ

Re: 250.50 Grounding electrode system

pierre:
Just to remind you.
250.54 states that a supplementary grounding electrode, doesn't have to comply with 250.56 :cool:
I don't understand this, I'm still reading though.

[ November 30, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: russ ]

russ

After looking at my 1999 handbook, I believe you're right. It does have to meet 250.56 requirement.

earlydean

There is a difference between supplemental and supplentary grounds. The supplemental ground rod of 250.53 needs to meet 250.56, while supplementary grounds do not. Supplementary grounds of 250.54 are in addition to any required grounding, while supplemental grounds are those required when metal water pipes are the only GE.

Which means the ground rod at the parking lot light (which is not even required by code) is supplementary and is allowed to be installed without resistance measurements and is not required to have another installed. Only those ground rods installed to meet 250.53(D)(2) and 250.50, need to meet 250.56.

pierre

250.54 Supplementary Grounding Electrodes.
These, as has been stated are not the same as 'SUPPLEMENTAL' ground rod. I am not sure why the CMP did not try to use a different term for this type of GE, such ancillary, appended, or auxilary. It would sure help eliminate some of the confusion.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.