250.64(E)(1) Should the GEC be bonded when it exits the panel?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Some AHJs in my area say when the GEC runs through the metal cabinet (no conduit) it must be bonded to the cabinet at that point, others don't require this.
when I read section 250.64(E) it seem this is only required if you run the GEC in metal conduit. Any clarification would be apricated.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Some AHJs in my area say when the GEC runs through the metal cabinet (no conduit) it must be bonded to the cabinet at that point, others don't require this.
when I read section 250.64(E) it seem this is only required if you run the GEC in metal conduit. Any clarification would be apricated.
Ask them where the code says this is required.

I doubt the "AHJ" is saying this. Maybe one of their inspectors. The inspector is not the AHJ and has no authority to make up stuff like this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not required by the NEC. The enclosure is connected to the GEC via the MBJ. If you're selling Kenny clamps you might want to see them required.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Not required by the NEC. The enclosure is connected to the GEC via the MBJ. If you're selling Kenny clamps you might want to see them required.
what about if it is in conduit, would the GEC be considered bonded to the conduit at the panel because the panel is bonded, or is a bonding bushing required?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
what about if it is in conduit, would the GEC be considered bonded to the conduit at the panel because the panel is bonded, or is a bonding bushing required?
Conduit is different because the wording of the NEC specifically requires it to be bonded to the GEC. Most panels have a 5/16" KO for the GEC.