250.68(C) (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

How do you interpret this section?
For a grounding electrode I am under the impression that you can attach to the interior metal water piping anywhere in the building and then bond around the water meter.
To me this section 250.68(C) (1) says if you are going to use the metal water piping as a conductor to interconnect electrodes of the grounding electrode system then you must attach your grounding electrode conductor within 5 feet of the underground metal water pipe entering the building.
It does not mean you have to connect your grounding electrode conductor within 5 feet of the underground water pipe entering the building if you are just going to the meatal underground water pipe?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to connect to the water pipe within 5' when the water pipe is an electrode. If you're just bonding the metal water pipe system then you can attach where you want and not within 5'.

kwired

Electron manager
For a grounding electrode I am under the impression that you can attach to the interior metal water piping anywhere in the building and then bond around the water meter.
To me this section 250.68(C) (1) says if you are going to use the metal water piping as a conductor to interconnect electrodes of the grounding electrode system then you must attach your grounding electrode conductor within 5 feet of the underground metal water pipe entering the building.
It does not mean you have to connect your grounding electrode conductor within 5 feet of the underground water pipe entering the building if you are just going to the meatal underground water pipe?
That used to be allowed, until I believe about 1996 NEC, then the 5 foot from entry came into play and hasn't really changed much since.

as mentioned grounding the interior piping can be done anywhere, but if is actually a GEC or a jumper for other electrodes, those connections must be within 5 feet of entry.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You need to connect to the water pipe within 5' when the water pipe is an electrode. If you're just bonding the metal water pipe system then you can attach where you want and not within 5'.
I agree with you and have always enforced that but when I actually read 250.53(D) and 250.68(C) I can't substantiate that. What am I overlooking ?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Section 250.68(C)(1)
This commentary from the 2011 NFPA 2011 Handbook: "This requirement in 250.68(C)(1) limits grounding and bonding connections to occurring only within the first 5 ft of where the piping enters a building or structure because of concerns that the use of nonmetallic piping or fittings could interrupt the electrical continuity of the metal water piping. The piping at this point is not a grounding electrode (only the underground portion is and electrode per 250.52(A)(1)). Rather it is used to extend grounding and bonding conductor connections to the grounding electrode. The exception permits connection to occur beyond beyond the first 5 ft and at the point the water piping is considered as a conductor used for bonding grounding electrodes together or as the actual grounding electrode conductor. All of the conditions of the exception, including the use of qualified persons to serve the water piping system, must be met in order to extend the permitted point of connection beyond the first 5 ft of where the piping enters the building.

kwired

Electron manager
If you have underground metal water pipe that qualifies as an electrode, the language essentially extends that electrode to a maximum of five feet into the building. You can not land the GEC or any GEC bonding jumpers on anything but the underground portion or the first five feet inside. Unlike structural metal that is a qualifying electrode which you can land the GEC or bonding jumpers to other electrodes to any place on the structural metal. Before (I believe) 1996 NEC you could do the same with metal water pipes. But as non metallic piping became more common, not only as new but also as replacements, they decided the chance of interrupting continuity to the underground electrode portion was a greater possibility and changed it to what it reads like now, don't think there been much for changes since then either.

Interior metal water piping system that isn't supplied by under ground metal piping can still be bonded anywhere you want to, some local AHJ's may have amendments that will say it must be in a certain location however.

Status
Not open for further replies.