250' or 1000' or something else

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We mostly used boxes but there was a time when we were doing many new homes so we switched to reels. To be honest, the reels were a nuisance for me-- heavy and hard to unreel. We went back to 250' boxes.
I haven't seen a box of NM since the 80's.:)
I typically use 250 rolls as well on larger jobs, new homes I like using the reels.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Where do you guys even find 250' thhn rolls, all we have here is 25, 100, 500, 1000, 2500. 250 would be a nice middle ground bewteen 500 and 100.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I've wired new homes as small as 800 square feet and as large as 15,000 square feet. And I've used 1,000' spools on each, as well as 250' rolls on each.

I much preferred 250' rolls

Just so much easier tool take into a house and up a flight of stairs
My issue of the 250's on whole house wiring is the amount of shorts at end of rolls, will get stuck with a bunch of 6-11ft pieces. may get the same on the 100ft spool but only one rather than 4 such pieces. Only issue of the 1000ft spool on smaller jobs is "How much did I use on this job?" Was consistently shorting myself on billing so got a measure meter so I can bill out exact length pulled from spool.
True on weight issue of spools but have a hand truck spool rack. Another thing on the rolls is getting more twisting of wire during dispensing vs a 1000ft spool.

Anyone using the 12-2-2 for home runs?
I like it from basement to second floor runs to get 2 individual circuits in one pull. No shared neutral so no handle tie.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Only issue of the 1000ft spool on smaller jobs is "How much did I use on this job?" Was consistently shorting myself on billing so got a measure meter so I can bill out exact length pulled from spool.

This has always bothered me on NM cable. We've had footage marks on network cable for decades. Why can't we get it on NM?

True on weight issue of spools but have a hand truck spool rack. Another thing on the rolls is getting more twisting of wire during dispensing vs a 1000ft spool.

Anyone using the 12-2-2 for home runs?
I like it from basement to second floor runs to get 2 individual circuits in one pull. No shared neutral so no handle tie.
I find little value in it. It's about 2.5x the cost of 12/2. Then you have to find a box somewhere to split out the circuits.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
This has always bothered me on NM cable. We've had footage marks on network cable for decades. Why can't we get it on NM?

I find little value in it. It's about 2.5x the cost of 12/2. Then you have to find a box somewhere to split out the circuits.
Better use of it I've seen is 14 2 2 that cable could be going to a far side of the house lighting circuit and take care of a lot without being a lot of box fill

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm getting it at 2.25x cost, Anyway, it is either 2 pulls of 12/2 or 1 pull of 12/2/2 so effective cost is only 25% more for the wire. So cost to customer even with markup is about for me $30 less, labor included on a 75ft pull, using 12/2/2 vs 2 pulls of 12/2.

If all things were equal then yes little value.
But when I've got a long blind pull, basement to 3rd floor attic, I find it is easier making 1 pull of ##/2/2 vs making 2 pulls of 12 or 14/2, to get home runs on an upgrade or remodel. Have also used when got new construction addition over crawl space, only crawl thru one time vs multiple trips thru. Yes maybe you can say I'm lazy.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
1 pull of ##/2/2 vs making 2 pulls of 12 or 14/2, to get home runs on an upgrade or remodel. Have also used when got new construction addition over crawl space, only crawl thru one time vs multiple trips thru.
I'll roll out multiple home, runs across the floor and cut them to length and add about 20 or 25 ft to each one. Enough extra that I can use it somewhere else.

Then I'll pull/fish all of them at the same time