277 &120V Grounds in same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, The roofing contractor closed the rooftop with a rubber layer. the conduit for the WP outlet wasn't installed in time so I have to come out on the wall outside to install and penetrate through the bldg to a J-box which provides 277v back to the panel. I can set a j-box ahead of the277v panel and pipe over to the 120v panel. is this ok per grounding by code or should I rely on the 277v grounding conductor?(Ibelieve that I need 2 grounds. 1 120v and 1 277v.)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: 277 &120V Grounds in same conduit

There is nothing wrong with two EGC's in a conduit even if they are from different systems.

However, there probably is no need to add a second one, all equipment grounding (bonding) is (should be) common at some point in most circumstances.

I would just use the existing EGC if it is large enough for the branch circuit and or feeder.

Roger

[ December 12, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Roger,
However, there probably is no need to add a second one, all equipment grounding (bonding) is (should be) common at some point in most circumstances.
I don't think that would be in compliance with 300.3(B). You need an EGC back to each source.
Don

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Don, the original question would infact have an EGC back to the source of both systems,
I can set a j-box ahead of the 277 v panel and pipe over to the 120v panel.
there would be an EGC for this portion of the run (atleast I asumed) and after the juction one common EGC could be a part of the 120 v circuit and the 277 v circuit or feeder. This would meet the requirement of 300.3(B).

If the installation requires a bond bushing or a box be bonded in the conduit run, and you installed an EGC for both systems, which one should be used for this bonding? ;)

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Roger,
there would be an EGC for this portion of the run (atleast I asumed) and after the juction one common EGC could be a part of the 120 v circuit and the 277 v circuit or feeder.
As long as there is a direct path back to each source, it would meet the code. You could combine the two EGCs at the roof box, run a single EGC to the panel junction box and then run separate EGCs to each panel.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.