277 lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyryan34

I am working on a commercial building doing 277v lighting, the building also has a generator, the plan calls for a light in each room to have a night light and a battery back up light that is powered off of the generator, Can i run both of these feeds to the light in the same conduit?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
rustyryan34 said:
I am working on a commercial building doing 277v lighting, the building also has a generator, the plan calls for a light in each room to have a night light and a battery back up light that is powered off of the generator, Can i run both of these feeds to the light in the same conduit?

See 700.9(B)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I'm assuming that the light is using a battery/ballast module, most require the same circuit that feeds the light, also feed the battery module. If the light is to be switched off, the non switched end of the circuit will have to be present in the light also. Simple hook up, but so many people screw it up by switching the battery pack also.

rustyryan34

hillbilly1 said:
I'm assuming that the light is using a battery/ballast module, most require the same circuit that feeds the light, also feed the battery module. If the light is to be switched off, the non switched end of the circuit will have to be present in the light also. Simple hook up, but so many people screw it up by switching the battery pack also.

they require the battery and night light to be feed off the generator but the other lamps in the light to be off normal power.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
rustyryan34 said:
they require the battery and night light to be feed off the generator but the other lamps in the light to be off normal power.

Thats kinda of an unusual combination, so you have two ballast in the fixture? What will make the world of difference is what the system is classified as; is it a legally required standby, emergency or just a optional standby system ( I probally left some out, so don't yell at me, I'm doing this of the top of my head, as flat as it is)

rustyryan34

hillbilly1 said:
Thats kinda of an unusual combination, so you have two ballast in the fixture? What will make the world of difference is what the system is classified as; is it a legally required standby, emergency or just a optional standby system ( I probally left some out, so don't yell at me, I'm doing this of the top of my head, as flat as it is)

I know what you are saying, it is a prison, in a class room building the shows it as this, it is a 3 lamp fixture, one ballast for the switched light off of normal power, a ballast for the night light and a battery for the last bulb off of the battery.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We just run the entire fixture off of the generator circuit. Around here the EM/NL means that the fixture is on 24/7 hence the term night light. When the power goes off the branch circuit feeding the EM panel will be switched over to generator power. The time it takes for the generator to come up to speed and for the transfer switches to operate will be backed up by the battery pack in the fixture.

cloudymacleod

rustyryan34 said:
yes u can, look at 700-9(b) wiring of 2 or more emergancy circuits supplied from the same source shall be permitted in the same raceway,cable, box or cabinet. so as long the circuits r coming from the same source it's legal by code.

cloudymacleod

rustyryan34 said:
well if the other lights have to be off nomal lights u would have too run 2 seperate raceways to the light (1) for normal power and (1) for emergancy power by code, again, look at 700-9(B)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Am I the only one that sees the word nightlight in the OP? Wouldn't a nightlight be illuminated all of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.