2nd Story Pool Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCushing19

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We are currently installing a Mod Pool which is a shipping container swimming pool. This pool is being installed on the 2nd story of a house. Around the pool is a deck built with wooden 2x12's with a plastic frame mounted on top that ceramic tile fits in. Do I still need to install an equipotential grid around the pool since none of the decking comes into contact with the earth?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We are currently installing a Mod Pool which is a shipping container swimming pool. This pool is being installed on the 2nd story of a house. Around the pool is a deck built with wooden 2x12's with a plastic frame mounted on top that ceramic tile fits in. Do I still need to install an equipotential grid around the pool since none of the decking comes into contact with the earth?

This is a good question. Unfortunately the code does not give exception so IMO it would still need the bonding. Personally I would contact the local authority having jurisdiction and get their take on it. It would appear absolutely worthless in this scenario.

The are many pools on roofs so I would have to think that someone in the forum has had experience with this.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
That's an interesting question. I can reach out to my pool colleagues and get their input.

How far is the wood deck above the base the pool is planned sit on? What is that base material? Steel beams? Concrete?
I agree with Dennis. You still need the perimeter bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.