3/4" Conduit body with 4 #8 AWG

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Only where the conductors are 4 AWG and larger. For 6 AWG and smaller the conduit body fill is the same as the trade size raceway that the conduit body is connected to. There may be a volume marked in the conduit body, but that only comes into play for splices and things like that using the rules in 314.16.
Not exactly.
I can pull (2) #4 in 3/4" conduit but a 3/4" LB will tell me the max wire size is #6. Devil in the details.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have used threaded bushings in LBs with EMT box connectors in the bushings in order to use say an 1 1/2" LB with 1 1/4" emt because the 1 1/4" LB did not have enough capacity.

Anyone see anything wrong with doing this.

Zee

You can run a #10 equipment ground instead of #8.
You can also downsize the neutral to #10, if it is a simple grid-tie 240 VAC inverter circuit - which it is (Enphase).
(unless it is a battery system or otherwise has 120V loads for some rare reason)

But this wire size would have to be on your plans for you to pass inspection.

Otherwise, you should still be fine re conduit fill with all #8's -but the #10 EGC and neutral makes it easier and a tad cheaper.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have used threaded bushings in LBs with EMT box connectors in the bushings in order to use say an 1 1/2" LB with 1 1/4" emt because the 1 1/4" LB did not have enough capacity.

Anyone see anything wrong with doing this.
Common practice, but where the conduit body has a volume of over 100 cubic inches, and is larger than the conduit, the rules in 314.23(E) require independent support of the conduit body. I have never seen that done and see no real world reason to do that, but the code language says otherwise.
And of course that does not include the issue of using the EMT connector with female threads...something that is done everyday, but outside the listing evaluation of the connector.

Zee

Fun fact: 2 @ #8 and 2 @ #10 (green and white) do fit in half inch EMT!
-Now ...the LB is another matter.
-Good if you don't have 3/4 fittings.
-No chance you're getting your communication wire in there though!

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
Well, a Disconnect is required for a PV system in CA. The one I bought has two fuses for L1 & L2. There is a connection for N but it has 3 terminals as shown on the picture. I just wonder why it has 3. Maybe no no terminal would ok. The terminals only help to splice wires.
well not in SCE and SDGE territory not sure in PG&E.
it might require in smaller utilities like LADP or iid.
Also SCE AND SDGE requires disconnects only in non self contained meter situation when multiple meter are connected through current transformers.