3 or 4 wires required

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
I have a manufactured home that is going to be 60' away from the service equipment. I need to install a disconnect within 30' of the home. My question is do I need to run 4 wires between the service equipment and the disconnect? I thought there was an exception to only run 3 wires and drive 2 ground rods and then 4 to wires to the home. I looked in article 250 and 550 and did not see the exception. Can someone tell me where its located? Thanks

Inspector

Inspector

What code are you under? The 2008 changed & you should run a 4-wire as well as drive an electrode & isolate the grounds from the neutrals @ the 2nd panel/disconnect as per Art,250.32.

raider1

Staff member
What code are you under? The 2008 changed & you should run a 4-wire as well as drive an electrode & isolate the grounds from the neutrals @ the 2nd panel/disconnect as per Art,250.32.

I agree, if the OPer is working under the 2008 NEC a 4 wire feeder is required.

Chris

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have a manufactured home that is going to be 60' away from the service equipment. I need to install a disconnect within 30' of the home. My question is do I need to run 4 wires between the service equipment and the disconnect? I thought there was an exception to only run 3 wires and drive 2 ground rods and then 4 to wires to the home. I looked in article 250 and 550 and did not see the exception. Can someone tell me where its located? Thanks

If you have the 2008 NEC HANDBOOK Read 250.32 and the commontery there are some good diagrams as well:)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... I need to install a disconnect within 30' of the home. ...
This brings up a question...

A manufactured home's service equipment falls under 550.32(B). The last sentence says when the service equipment is not installed in or on the unit, other provisions of the section apply. So does that mean you must comply with 550.32(A) when your service is 60' away, i.e. a second disconnect outside, not on, and not more than 30' away??? To me, that doesn't make much sense if its service is otherwise permitted to be installed in or on the manufactured home.

Status
Not open for further replies.