120/240 single phase for residential
208Y120 3 phase for commercial with primarily single phase loads
240/120 3 phase 4 wire for "light" industrial with primarily 3 phase loads
480Y277 for industrial

What's "un-unified" about that?

Thank you!

Ingenieur

Oh yeah, except that...

995? Where, underground mining? I remember working on some old Joy mining equipment that used 1000V (nominal) for the trailing power units.

alot in ug mining and surface mining
miners and shuttle cars
seen it oil fields too

Besoeker

Oh yeah, except that...

995? Where, underground mining? I remember working on some old Joy mining equipment that used 1000V (nominal) for the trailing power units.
We built drives for the Channel Tunnel or "Chunnel" project as it was sometimes referred to. These were 900V as I recall. Boring topic......

kwired

Electron manager
What? We ARE "unified".
480Y277 for industrial

don't forget
575/3
995/3
:)

And 120/208 single phase residential used in condos and such that have a three phase service.

and 240 or 480 corner ground, high leg, or even ungrounded systems.

sometimes just a two wire system of about any voltage mentioned already

This before throwing in variances like 110, 115, 120 of what is otherwise considered the same system.

Besoeker

What? We ARE "unified".
480Y277 for industrial

Well, since you ask.........
120/240 for a start. Residential here is nominally 230V single phase line to neutral. That's it. Cooker, washing machine, lighting, outlets - all 230V.
Same for commercial single phase.
Industrial 3-phase is mostly 400V which is the same line to line voltage from which the 230V LN is derived.
Other voltages are used for higher powers and distribution and I know that's also the case on your side of that wee pond.

But, back to the OP's question. I suppose he can use whatever voltage he wants to. The thing to ponder is still why he would think about getting a motor that is not matched to his supply? It would be helpful if he could respond to some of the suggestions made

kwired

Electron manager
Well, since you ask.........
120/240 for a start. Residential here is nominally 230V single phase line to neutral. That's it. Cooker, washing machine, lighting, outlets - all 230V.
Same for commercial single phase.
Industrial 3-phase is mostly 400V which is the same line to line voltage from which the 230V LN is derived.
Other voltages are used for higher powers and distribution and I know that's also the case on your side of that wee pond.

But, back to the OP's question. I suppose he can use whatever voltage he wants to. The thing to ponder is still why he would think about getting a motor that is not matched to his supply? It would be helpful if he could respond to some of the suggestions made
Also remember some of why Europe has fairly standardized systems is because of a war or two, easy to start over with one standard when there isn't much left of what was originally there.

Besoeker

Also remember some of why Europe has fairly standardized systems is because of a war or two, easy to start over with one standard when there isn't much left of what was originally there.
"Harmonisation" of voltages is a silly EU fudge (one of many) which post dates the war by some decades and benefits no one - nothing actually changed except the tolerances and everyone carried on as previously.

My point though, is in respect of the opening post. It isn't a problem we would be likely to encounter and have to find a solution for.
I do hope the OP will give us some feedback on his mismatched voltages if that's the route he takes.

Besoeker

I was referring to "tunnel" and "boring".;)

Are you saying you missed your own pun?
It was intentional - so no, I didn't miss it. Text isn't always the easiest way way to convey humour.........
And yes, interesting it was. No humour intended there.

norcal

By the time Europe electrified, the US had Edison's legacy 110V which Tesla / Westinghouse had to continue when introducing AC, Europe could do whatever they wanted when not burdened w/ a legacy system.

Besoeker

By the time Europe electrified, the US had Edison's legacy 110V which Tesla / Westinghouse had to continue when introducing AC, Europe could do whatever they wanted when not burdened w/ a legacy system.
London had the electricity act in 1882 so probably had electricity supplies quite a while before that.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Don't forget, Edison didn't invent electricity, in fact he didn't even invent the light bulb. What he did was refine the light bulb to make it easily mass produced relatively cheaply. Electricity (DC) was already being used for a lot of other things beside lighting at that time, especially in Europe for mass transit. In fact, when Edison went to set up his first electric lighting system in New York, he used a dynamo that he bought from Werner von Siemens.

Besoeker

Don't forget, Edison didn't invent electricity, in fact he didn't even invent the light bulb. What he did was refine the light bulb to make it easily mass produced relatively cheaply. Electricity (DC) was already being used for a lot of other things beside lighting at that time, especially in Europe for mass transit. In fact, when Edison went to set up his first electric lighting system in New York, he used a dynamo that he bought from Werner von Siemens.
Thank you sir.
My recollection (not 'cos I was around at the time) is the first street lights here were Siemens.
Vdc was trill being used on the VSOE when we were installing drives for the aircon. A real technical challenge that was.
But, back to the OP's point.
Change the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.