3 phase feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

topend

I need to install a 100A feeder circuit from a distribution panel at the front of a building to a disconnect about 100' to the rear of the building. My thought was to run aluminum guadraplex along the exterior wall. Any suggestions for installing the ground?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
topend said:
I need to install a 100A feeder circuit from a distribution panel at the front of a building to a disconnect about 100' to the rear of the building. My thought was to run aluminum guadraplex along the exterior wall. Any suggestions for installing the ground?

Thanks.

If you are running conduit along the exterior wall you don't need quadraplex.
Just run individual aluminum conductors.

Not sure what you mean by installing the ground. The ground just gets connected between the panel and the disco.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you want to run quadraplex in free air along the wall on the interior of a building?

charlie

I am not visualizing conduit. I pictured quad run in the same manner as pole attachments. If I am correct, he needs a grounding conductor run with the quad. :)

topend

3 phase feeder

yes, I was planning on running the quadraplex in free air on an exterior wall. The ground needs to run from distribution panel to disconnect, no? Does a single grounding consuctor fastened along the exterior of the wall makes sense?

charlie

topend said:
. . . Does a single grounding conductor fastened along the exterior of the wall makes sense?
Sorry, no. 300.3(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).

I don't see how you can get around this provision unless you can find a piece of quad with an insulated neutral and a bare messenger (I don't believe a cable like that is manufactured). If you wish to meet the code requirements, I believe you will have to install the feeder in a suitable raceway. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
EGC issue aside, is stringing surface mounted quadraplex along the interior wall of a building in free air an accepted installation practice?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
infinity said:
EGC issue aside, is stringing surface mounted quadraplex along the interior wall of a building in free air an accepted installation practice?

Here is the quote
yes, I was planning on running the quadraplex in free air on an exterior wall.

I assume he means outside

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Here is the quote

I assume he means outside

OK, I assumed the interior portion of an exterior wall. :rolleyes:

Either way it sounds like the quadraplex will at some point be on the inside of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.