3-Phase Generator Plant serving 3-Phase and 1-Phase building services

Rwat

Occupation
Senior Electrical Engineer
I have a project where we are providing a 3-phase, 480V generator plant for 3-buildings with each building having 2 services; 1-480V, 3-Phase Service and 1-120/240V service for each building. Aside from the obvious phase imbalance issues, can anyone comment on potential issues.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I have a project where we are providing a 3-phase, 480V generator plant for 3-buildings with each building having 2 services; 1-480V, 3-Phase Service and 1-120/240V service for each building.
Why not use 208Y/120 for the single phase?

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Just don't underestimate the phase imbalance issues. This might not apply to you situation, but saw a facility with utility power and genny backup. 3-ph 480V going to a number of air compressors with Wye-Delta starters, and 1-ph 480 going to the primary of a 480/120-240 transformer going to an MCC. Everything was fine until one day the utility power was shut off for an upgrade. The Wye-Delta starters had a delay that was long enough that only the single phase transformer loaded the genny. The genny saw an imbalance long enough to shutdown, which was before the 3-ph air compressors came on. The work around was to open the primary breaker to the 1-ph transformer until an air compressor kicked in, then energize the transformer thereby feeding the MCC. The imbalance setting was changed to a higher setting (I forget just what, now) as a fix, at least temporarily.

With three buildings in your design, might never be an issue, but if for some reason two buildings are shutdown, it could be.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
So you cant use 208 due to specs or something?
Its interesting this keeps coming up.
If you have to have 120/240, and you have to balance the 480 genny and your tight on capacity
then I'd go for a scott-t transformer and use 2 single phase feeders off it.
That would keep the genny balanced enough.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
At the generator, is there separate ocpd for each building? If so then the power to each building is a feeder. The service is from the generator to the first ocpd.
At least that’s my opinion

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know the current codes as well as previous, but in this case, isn’t the generator considered the utility? Wasn’t there a change for a location with no poco, like a remote cabin

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Article 100 definition of a Service:
Service. The conductors and equipment connecting the servring utility to the wiring system of the premises served.
If there is not a utility I dont think there is a service.