3 phase generator rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Brian,
Can you expand on why a "phasing" issue would cause a problem for single phase loads. Note I am assuming that this is not a closed transition transfer switch, and even if it was I would not expect to find a problem at the loads...just at the switch if it is closed out of phase with both sources live.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
don_resqcapt19 said:
Brian,
Can you expand on why a "phasing" issue would cause a problem for single phase loads. Note I am assuming that this is not a closed transition transfer switch, and even if it was I would not expect to find a problem at the loads...just at the switch if it is closed out of phase with both sources live.
It might also be an issue to motors and some electronics if the phasing is mismatched during a rapid transfer. Maybe?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Larry,
I understand the issue with motors, especially larger ones with high inertia loads, but what causes a problem with electronic equipment?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
don_resqcapt19 said:
Brian,
It was a open transition switch and the surge was happening during re-transfer to utility. I think you have the key words there "Close out of phase"

Status
Not open for further replies.