3 phase high leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 480 3 phase system. I wanted a little information about 3 phase high leg versus standard 3 phase. how can you tell which one is which with a voltage tester? I took reading from phase to ground and got 277.
A to ground, B to ground, C to ground all were 277. The tester I had with me went overload if I attemted phase to phase readings. What should phase to phase rating be in a 3phase with and without a highleg.

3 phase with high leg:

A to ground=?
B to ground=?
C to ground=?

A to B=?
B to C=?
C to A=?

3 phase WITHOUT a high leg

A to ground=?
B to ground=?
C to ground=?

A to B=?
B to C=?
C to A=?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
3 phase with high leg:

A to ground=240
B to ground=416
C to ground=240

A to B=480
B to C=480
C to A=480

3 phase WITHOUT a high leg (assuming a grounded wye)

A to ground=277
B to ground=277
C to ground=277

A to B=480
B to C=480
C to A=480

3 phase WITHOUT a high leg (assuming a corner grounded delta)

A to ground=0
B to ground=480
C to ground=480

A to B=480
B to C=480
C to A=480

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As David showed, if you are reading 277v from all three phases to ground you have a grounded wye system of some type. Your phases would be 480 (any) phase to (any) phase. You would not have a "high leg".

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
As David showed, if you are reading 277v from all three phases to ground you have a grounded wye system of some type. Your phases would be 480 (any) phase to (any) phase. You would not have a "high leg".
Also, an ungrounded system frequently looks like a wye system when high impedance voltmeters are used.

Augie is correct, a 'high-leg' system will not have all three phases to ground be equal.

Jljohnson

If your phase to ground voltage in a 3 phase system is 1/2 of the phase-phase voltage (as in 120/240), you are working in a delta connected system. If the phase to ground voltage x 1.732 is equal to the phase-phase voltage (as in 120/208 or 277/480), you are in a Wye connected system. Delta connected systems will have a high leg, Wye systems will not. The only exception I can think of would be the corner grounded Delta system, which would read voltages as shown a couple posts above.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If your phase to ground voltage in a 3 phase system is 1/2 of the phase-phase voltage (as in 120/240), you are working in a delta connected system. If the phase to ground voltage x 1.732 is equal to the phase-phase voltage (as in 120/208 or 277/480), you are in a Wye connected system. Delta connected systems will have a high leg, Wye systems will not. The only exception I can think of would be the corner grounded Delta system, which would read voltages as shown a couple posts above.
That is a rather large generalization, which is more likely to get the OP into trouble than to help him. In a high leg delta, only two of his three phase to ground voltages will be 1/2 of the phase-to-phase voltage. The third will be the high leg, at a higher voltage to ground or neutral.

In a delta system there will not be a neutral unless it is a high-leg system with a "neutral" which is only the neutral for one of the three phases, the one which produces 120-0-120.
The other likely form of delta would indeed be corner grounded delta, with ungrounded coming in a distant third.
In a wye system there will be a neutral (whether it is used by anything or not, and by definition all three phase to neutral voltages will be identical. With very few exceptions the neutral in a wye system must be grounded.

PS: The standard notation in the code and elsewhere is 208Y/120 and 480Y/277, even though the "Y" appears to be in the wrong place. :)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I took reading from phase to ground and got 277.
A to ground, B to ground, C to ground all were 277. The tester I had with me went overload if I attemted phase to phase readings.
It should be noted that if your tester goes out of limit when trying to read phase to phase on a 480V system you really need to get a new one. Bad things can happen to meters and those that are holding them when they are used above their rating.

kwired

Electron manager
It should be noted that if your tester goes out of limit when trying to read phase to phase on a 480V system you really need to get a new one. Bad things can happen to meters and those that are holding them when they are used above their rating.

Good point, especially when you consider it is a little hard to find a tester that can not display a reading up to at least 600 volts that also is not a cat III rated instrument. If it can not go more than 300 volts, it is much more likely to be a cheap meter that does not have the safety rating to take much for overvoltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.