3 Phase Starter with Single Phase Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgfranz

I have done a number of 3 phase > 3 phase installs before, but now I am being asked to connect a single phase motor to a 3 phase starter with a NC remote switch. The starter is an older Cutler-Hammer 9586. As I understand the schematic I should be able to just by-pass the L3 connection and use L1 and L2, however when I apply power to the switch it immediately closes and power is applied across to T1, T2 and T3. If I press either the NC "Off" button, the switch opens and will not reset or close again unless I disconnect power. If I press the NO "On" button the switch opens and will not reset unless I disconnect power. This tells me that I have a wire crossed somewhere.

Does anyone know at what positions of the switch the remote switch is suppose to connect to? If you need diagrams or images I can supply them.

Thanks,

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.