3 Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyb

Occupation
Design Engineer
Do I need to divide by 1.732 in sizing the fuse in disconnect or not?

IQ7 Max. Continuous Current = 1.0 A

Total No. of Inverter = 42

1.0 x 42 x 1.25 = 52.5A = 60A Fuse

1.0 x 42 x 1.25 / 1.732 = 30.3 A = 30A Fuse

30A or 60A Fuse?

Thank You!
3-Phase.png

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Do I need to divide by 1.732 in sizing the fuse in disconnect or not?

IQ7 Max. Continuous Current = 1.0 A

Total No. of Inverter = 42

1.0 x 42 x 1.25 = 52.5A = 60A Fuse

1.0 x 42 x 1.25 / 1.732 = 30.3 A = 30A Fuse

30A or 60A Fuse?

Thank You!
3-Phase.png
Your line current is (14.0A)(sqrt3) = 24.25A, and (1.25)(24.25A) = 30.3A, so you are almost right, but you cannot round down that 0.3A. Your minimum fuse size is 35A.

Zyb

Occupation
Design Engineer
Your line current is (14.0A)(sqrt3) = 24.25A, and (1.25)(24.25A) = 30.3A, so you are almost right, but you cannot round down that 0.3A. Your minimum fuse size is 35A.

I finally found my answer

breaker at load Center : 20A (2 Pole Breaker) each
1 x 14 x 1.25 = 17.5A

Fuse at disconnect : (3) 45A Fuse
IQ7 continuous power = 280W
(42 x 280) / (208 x 1.732) = 32.64A continuous
32.64 x 1.25 = 40.80A

3.1-Phase.png

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
Where are you getting the 280W continuous output from. The data sheet for the IQ7 states max continuous current of 1.15A when operating at nominal 208V. 42 x 1.15 x 1.25 / 1.732 = 34.9A. You can still use a fused disconnect with 45A fuses in it if you want as long as the feeder conductors between the disconnect and the AC combiner are rated for it, but you only need to install 35A fuses.

Carultch

Be careful with the Watt or KW ratings with this calculation. These values may not necessarily match the Amps of maximum output current. Some inverters have headroom on their Amp ratings above the value you'd expect from P=I*V or P=I*V*sqrt(3). The Amp rating (maximum continuous output current) on the datasheet overrides the amp rating you'd calculate from the power or KVA rating.

When phase-to-phase inverters are balanced among the phases (which is what you should generally aim to do), you can calculate the total current by the following method.
42*1.15A * 208V = 10046.4 VA

10046.4 VA/120V/3 = 27.9A per phase
27.9A * 1.25 = 35A OCPD

If you have an unbalanced setup, you could either pick the pair of phases with the most current, and conservatively multiply that by 3*208V to get a virtual total VA that you then divide by (3*120V). Or you'd use the square root formulas to combine phase-to-phase connected currents.

Ia = Ia0 + sqrt(Iab^2 + Ica^2 + Iab*Ica)
Ib = Ib0 + sqrt(Iab^2 + Ibc^2 + Iab*Ibc)
Ic = Ic0 + sqrt(Ica^2 + Ibc^2 + Ica*Ibc)

ggunn

Occupation
I thought 220.5(B) allows you to round down to the nearest amp.
You are correct, sir! Otherwise, my calculation is correct, but I didn't look up the inverter maximum current at 208V, which is what I assume his 3P voltage is. He stated it as 1.0A, which is what I used. BTW, you cannot use the module or inverter rating in Watts to set the rating of the OCPD; you must use the inverter Imax.

Another thing: 690.9 sets the minimum OCPD rating; you can use higher rated OCPD as long as your conductors are sized appropriately and as long as you do not exceed any published maximum OCPD from the inverter manufacturer.

pv_n00b

These inverters are connected in a 3ph delta configuration. So the current between the inverters and the inverter CB in the panel is just the inverter Imax and sizing the CB is Imax*1.25. But leaving the 3ph panel the currents combine into line currents using the 3ph rules. Since these are balanced it makes it easy, the line current out of the 3ph panel is the inverter Imax *SQRT(3). The size of the fuse in the disconnect is then Imax *SQRT(3)*1.25.
If the inverters were not balanced then things get tricky. There was an old SolarPro article that went into how to calculate the line currents in an unbalanced combination of inverters in a 3 phase system.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Forget the 1.732.
We are looking at currents here.

Last edited:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Forget the 1.732.
We are looking at currents here.
If you have a 3 phase system with (3) 2-wire loads/sources with power factor 1 connected in a delta as A-B, B-C, and C-A, and if each load/source has a current of 1 amp, then with two loads/sources connected to each line conductor, the current on A, B, or C will be 1.732 amps. Which applies to the OP.

Cheers, Wayne

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you have a 3 phase system with (3) 2-wire loads/sources with power factor 1 connected in a delta as A-B, B-C, and C-A, and if each load/source has a current of 1 amp, then with two loads/sources connected to each line conductor, the current on A, B, or C will be 1.732 amps. Which applies to the OP.

Cheers, Wayne
OK.

ggunn

Occupation
These inverters are connected in a 3ph delta configuration. So the current between the inverters and the inverter CB in the panel is just the inverter Imax and sizing the CB is Imax*1.25. But leaving the 3ph panel the currents combine into line currents using the 3ph rules. Since these are balanced it makes it easy, the line current out of the 3ph panel is the inverter Imax *SQRT(3). The size of the fuse in the disconnect is then Imax *SQRT(3)*1.25.
If the inverters were not balanced then things get tricky. There was an old SolarPro article that went into how to calculate the line currents in an unbalanced combination of inverters in a 3 phase system.
I have a hard copy of it. It's pretty good, and I've not been able to find it or anything comparable on line since SP went away.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have a hard copy of it. It's pretty good, and I've not been able to find it or anything comparable on line since SP went away.
People can still download issues at solarprofessional.com. If you post the month and year of the article people can find it easier.

ggunn

Occupation
People can still download issues at solarprofessional.com. If you post the month and year of the article people can find it easier.
The hard copy I have doesn't have a publishing date on it. It was written by Marvin R Hamon, PE, if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.