3 Piece Coupling..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
They are used as a time saver tool.
If you are trying to bid and bid tight you might need one of your men to look at the prints with you, steel drawings, architectural, etc., think stub 90 first, can start the run from anywhere and go in both directions, ending with spinning the box on or use of the proper hub.
Haven't priced a 4" in a bit but bet I can beat the price using labor the majority of times. 2 men $75hr one hr. $150 what's the fitting cost?

Gary11734

Ditto. I was trying to be casual.:)

As an apprentice, you never realized the different names that the trade gave pieces. We just learn the slang and take it as what it is suppose to be...

We also called them swedes, or Erickson, but never 3 piece couplings..

And then there's the 1900 box, 180 boxes, ...............

kwired

Electron manager
As an apprentice, you never realized the different names that the trade gave pieces. We just learn the slang and take it as what it is suppose to be...

We also called them swedes, or Erickson, but never 3 piece couplings..

And then there's the 1900 box, 180 boxes, ...............
3 piece coupling is likely a generic name that is what all companies will likely call them, Erickson I'm pretty sure is a trademark or brand name, not sure about swedes. 1900 box is catalog number for one particular manufacturer T&B maybe? <ok, google says original part number from Bossart, about 100 years ago>

Gary11734

3 piece coupling is likely a generic name that is what all companies will likely call them, Erickson I'm pretty sure is a trademark or brand name, not sure about swedes. 1900 box is catalog number for one particular manufacturer T&B maybe? <ok, google says original part number from Bossart, about 100 years ago>

Yes, the 1900 box is the catalog number. And the 180 box was 1800, that too from a catalog number.

In Miami, we called a three-piece coupling, Erickson. When I was tramping on the road in Minnesota, it was a swede...

Ok, where did the original 5362 Cat number come from? That is a receptacle. And in the old days, an expensive one!

charlie k.

Yes, the 1900 box is the catalog number. And the 180 box was 1800, that too from a catalog number.

In Miami, we called a three-piece coupling, Erickson. When I was tramping on the road in Minnesota, it was a swede...

Ok, where did the original 5362 Cat number come from? That is a receptacle. And in the old days, an expensive one!

5362 Was the catalog # for a Hubbell spec grade receptacle.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have just what you need sitting in a garage, in N.Y., Rigid 300, power pony, 2 hog heads, universal bar, oiler, take a run up Ill make a deal; big core drill, couple tri stands. :) :)

Hold on to that stuff until I start doing industrial jobs. Then we can talk. ;)

Gary11734

5362 Was the catalog # for a Hubbell spec grade receptacle.

Yes, Bryant used this number for a receptacle. I could be wrong, but I saw this number on a brand before Bryant started using it. I think... Does anybody have a guess who it could be?

Then everyone started using it to compare to the other's quality.

masterinbama

Swede more than likely comes from Erickson being a Swedish surname.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

mstrlucky74

They are used as a time saver tool.
If you are trying to bid and bid tight you might need one of your men to look at the prints with you, steel drawings, architectural, etc., think stub 90 first, can start the run from anywhere and go in both directions, ending with spinning the box on or use of the proper hub.
Haven't priced a 4" in a bit but bet I can beat the price using labor the majority of times. 2 men $75hr one hr. $150 what's the fitting cost?

about $340

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is difference between the "split" mentioned and an "Erikson"?

It's a one piece coupling that fits over the threads on both lengths of pipe and tightens with a socket or we use an impact gun.

APLTONC00003_CF2_3_TR_002.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
It's a one piece coupling that fits over the threads on both lengths of pipe and tightens with a socket or we use an impact gun.

APLTONC00003_CF2_3_TR_002.jpg
See a lot of those for material handling tubing, like for augers or blower conveyor tubing systems, didn't know they made them for RMC.

That is flexible enough to open easily enough to clear necessary thread clearances? Smooth inside on a smooth tube doesn't need to open very far to allow inserting the tube.

Can we call it a 5 piece coupling?:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
See a lot of those for material handling tubing, like for augers or blower conveyor tubing systems, didn't know they made them for RMC.

That is flexible enough to open easily enough to clear necessary thread clearances? Smooth inside on a smooth tube doesn't need to open very far to allow inserting the tube.

Can we call it a 5 piece coupling?:)

Right out of the box it's opened enough to slide right over the end of the conduit. Once you make up the bolts it clamps tightly onto the threads. We've used these over the three piece Erickson type because they're so much easier and faster. Just slide into position, grab an impact gun and you're done. I was always under the impression that they were cheaper than the 3 piece type but mrlucky told me that they are not. I would still use them because they save on expensive labor costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.