3 screw rule???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

We failed a commercial inspection this morning for using only 2 screws on side bracket mounted 4" square boxes. 8 offices, 2 breakrooms, 3bathrooms. lab, production area, security room, all mounted by two screws directly to the stud. They are 1 1/4" screws and hold the box very securly. Is this inspector making up codes?? He says they have to have 3 screws on each box?? :mad:

sparky=t

don't know if there is a rule, we always use two screws at top and one on bottom of bracket, does not matter if we are mounting to wood or steel studs. just standard practice for us.

cadpoint

Why don?t you get the manufacturer cut sheet and the copy of the UL submittal on this one product?

Take a few pictures, to be included to be an official submittal that goes over their head!

The 3rd screw is the one loose in the inspector's head.

I think Mivey has finally come up with the reason some of these inspectors make judgements...:D

I am not aware of any listing of any box in regards to securing that requires 3 screws, nails, or other fastening means.

I am curious as to how he came to this requirement. Did you ask him for a section number or other reason as to how/why?

480sparky

........I am curious as to how he came to this requirement. Did you ask him for a section number or other reason as to how/why?

Sometimes I wonder if the inspector pulls out a shirt-pocket rule just to 'test' the electricians' mettle: to see if he can stand up on his own

Some inspectors (not all, mind you, but they are out there as we all know!) are always on a power trip. This may just be one of their little mind games to see how far they can push you in the future. Either that, or they're on a fishing expedition to see if you're truly the electrician you claim to be.

donselectric

are they sheet rock screws or 10x3/4 phsms ?
lot of insp hate rock screws for anything other than what they
were made for...

iwire

Staff member
IMO all the inspector has to say is he (or she) does not feel the box is rigidly and securely mounted and that is enough for a fail.

mcclary's electrical

I think Mivey has finally come up with the reason some of these inspectors make judgements...:D

I am not aware of any listing of any box in regards to securing that requires 3 screws, nails, or other fastening means.

I am curious as to how he came to this requirement. Did you ask him for a section number or other reason as to how/why?

I did ask him was that a local code,,,,he said no,,,NEC,,,,.(I didn't mean to),,,but I laughed out loud when he said that. I politely told him I would love a code reference in order to be able to read this myself. He said he's gonna get back to me.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Were these boxes on metal studs without any type of farside support?
If they were flimsy what do you expect?
I worked for several contractors and we always used 3 screws. With todays screwguns how much extra time would it take?

Regularkevin

Is the AHJ citing the '05 or '08 NFPA 70?

Either way, 314.23 [1] says nothing about 'how many' fasteners are to be used.

I could understand him if, say, you used only one nail or screw... or if the surface isn't rigid or there isn't secure enough support.

This will be an interesting outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.