3 way issues. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekozee

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Had an apprentice demo 3 way switches to fan/light combo. Not working now. Trying to post a pic. I'll explain it best as I can. Fan light junction not accessible. The following are wires coming into boxes. House early 90s.
One side there are 2 14/2s. One black reading 120, N tied to rest in box. 2nd black and white wrapped tightly by first black reading hot. (Assuming these are traveller's)

The other side has a 3 wire coming in and a 2 wire (reading 120). The black and red are switch legs (I know this from jumping power to ea.) The fan works properly on a S1 and the light works properly from this side as a S1. I need the fan to stay S1 and the light to be S3.
Can someone please help?
Also....how do I post a pic here?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I'm sure you think you know what you are describing, but I don't. You have one 2 gang switch box with a total of 4 cables? Switches in this box are a three way and a single pole?

Describe cables.
A:

B:

C:

D: Three wire to F/L. Red to ____, Black to _____. White to neutral.

The other three way is in another box. Describe it and the cables in it.

Don't use a noncontact tester for voltage. Use a low impedance tester.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
The last heavy rain day, everyone was either stuck in the mud or stuck trying to pull someone out... some genius tied two of my longest straps together right below the clevis. Instead of using the clevis...and after pulling two trucks together, the knot will never come apart.
So i yelled at the kid next to "genius" blaming him for it, mostly because he's x military so getting chewed out is cake. I was hoping genius would of spoke up, but no...

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
Here's one wacky way that follows most of the description. Of course, actual voltage readings and testing would be needed to confirm. The description isn't the best.
wacky3way.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.