3-way switch without travelers (radio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Hello,

I know they are available, Lutron I think.

I am looking for the switches that can be installed where there is no 3-wire installed that can control one light or outlet from two locations.

Is it the Maestro line? Casita? I just want two plain looking switches, does anyone know the part number? Google searches have come up with a lot of options but mostly I am seeing switches of more complexity than I need.

thanks

cburke1111

Lutron Caseta is the way to go

Lutron Caseta is the way to go

Hello,

I know they are available, Lutron I think.

I am looking for the switches that can be installed where there is no 3-wire installed that can control one light or outlet from two locations.

Is it the Maestro line? Casita? I just want two plain looking switches, does anyone know the part number? Google searches have come up with a lot of options but mostly I am seeing switches of more complexity than I need.

thanks

Lutron Caseta is the way to go.

They have a dimmer/remote kit around $59.99. It is available at Home Depot Amazon and most suppliers.
https://amzn.to/2Rp2lY2
lutron caseta dimmer kit.jpg

I would also buy the Wallplate Bracket for Pico Remote
https://amzn.to/2SshjcZ

There is also a Caseta Switch and two button remote.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Best bet call Lutron help desk they are available 24-7. I am not sure they are available as standard switches.. May have to be Decora style

1-(844) LUTRON1
(588-7661)

JoeNorm

Decora would actually be preferred.

What I meant by "plain" is just looking like a normal decora rocker switch. I don't need a dimmer, or a switch that has four different buttons on it.

The one I have used is a simple click on, click off, at both switch locations

thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Decora would actually be preferred.

What I meant by "plain" is just looking like a normal decora rocker switch. I don't need a dimmer, or a switch that has four different buttons on it.

The one I have used is a simple click on, click off, at both switch locations

thanks

This is the switch you need. It is just an on/off RF switch. Basically the same as the Caseta without the other stuff. You use it with the Pico remote.

data

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/117305/LUT-PD5SDVWH.html

cburke1111

Be aware that not all LED lamps work with this control, you may need to install an incandescent even to get it programmed.

No...

You need to read the spec's on the LED light and the switch, to check and see if they are compatible. You may also have to test in your shop first, then go out to the job.

Use the following website to see if the dimmer/switch is compatible.
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/LEDCompatibilityTool/Compatibility.aspx

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Be aware that not all LED lamps work with this control, you may need to install an incandescent even to get it programmed.

The RF switch that I posted ships with what is called a MLC (minimum load capacitor). You tie it in anywhere in the circuit, line-neutral. I usually like to tie- in in the switch box. It puts a small load on for LED or even fluorescent. Same principle as adding a regular bulb.
I don't automatically use them, only if the light doesn't work or work well with the switch.
Let's just say I have a drawer full of them that I didn't need.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
No...

You need to read the spec's on the LED light and the switch, to check and see if they are compatible. You may also have to test in your shop first, then go out to the job.

Use the following website to see if the dimmer/switch is compatible.
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/LEDCompatibilityTool/Compatibility.aspx

That may very well be good if you are the one supplying fixture, lamps, and controller, if not, take an incandescent along with you. Makes for an easier day.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The RF switch that I posted ships with what is called a MLC (minimum load capacitor). You tie it in anywhere in the circuit, line-neutral. I usually like to tie- in in the switch box. It puts a small load on for LED or even fluorescent. Same principle as adding a regular bulb.
I don't automatically use them, only if the light doesn't work or work well with the switch.

That's nice! The last one we installed did not have that doodad. I think I sold it to them a year or so ago and they finally called to have it hooked up.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That's nice! The last one we installed did not have that doodad. I think I sold it to them a year or so ago and they finally called to have it hooked up.

Lutron has a part number for it. I'm not sure I've ever saw any retailers with any but am sure you could call Lutron and order some. You could also just take a small film capacitor with wire leads and tie that in. I can't remember the size of the caps, but @gar gave me the size.

cburke1111

I have used this too, works great.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
3-way switch without travelers (radio)

Legrand RF controls

https://www.legrand.us/electrical-devices/rf-lighting-controls.aspx

LC2201 is the switch, LC2203 is the remote. You don’t need the RFLC hub to use them as wireless 3-ways. They will bind together without it.

2201 goes at the load, 2203 just needs 120v power.

Also, get a quote from your P&S supplier; website prices are retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.