3 wire feeder with CATV & Tele

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickg

Hey All
I have missed my daily lurkings and occasional postings as we have been on a 3 week family vacation to Ryan's part of the USA.
Now for my question.
On a single property with 2 buildings,bldg 1 is served CATV & tele via the respective utilities and CATV & tele are bonded to the GEC of bldg 1. CATV & tele are run underground from bldg 1 to bldg 2. The utilities are NOT involved in the extention to bldg 2. Do the CATV & tele have to be bonded to the ground electrode system of bldg 2? I believe they DO per NEC 800.33 & 820.33. Reason for the question is the electrician has run a 3 wire feeder (no ground conductor)to bldg 2 from bldg 1. He claims that because the CATV & tele are not bonded at bldg 2 he is OK with the 3 wire system. I feel the CATV & tele must be bonded to the ground electrode at bldg 2 and then he will have to run a GEC with the feeder conductors to bldg 2. Have I cited the correct articles?
Opinions please.
Thanks

Rick

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: 3 wire feeder with CATV & Tele

I think just by virtue of the fact that there are tel and CATV running to the second building there needs to be a ground conductor run with the feeder.

-Hal

rickg

250.32 (I think) states that each end of the parallel path would have to be bonded (to ground) before you are required to run the ground conductor.
Rick

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Yes, but is the CATV really not bonded? A three wire line cord on whatever the coax is connected to will do it. Besides, both go outside between buildings. There needs to be protectors for the telephone at both buildings (800.30) and the shield of the coax needs to be bonded (820.33) with a ground block where it enters the 2nd building as well as where it exits the first.

That's why I said if there wasn't any telephone and CATV fine but as soon as you add them you need the equipment ground.

-Hal

eprice

rickg,
I agree with you, they are required to be bonded, and therefore, the feeder to building 2 needs to be 4 wire. The sections you cite are correct. Throw in 800.40 and 820.40 to add detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.