3-wire subpanel question

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Old sub panels in detached buildings had a 3 wire cable feeding them with a ground rod. I run into these all the time. I have to relocate a sub panel and have no choice but to continue using their same method. It bothers me that it does not meet modern code, having four wires. But I don’t know what else to do.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As long as there is no parallel neutral path back to the main building there is not a problem. The reason for the new requirement is basically the potential for human error like adding a phone line or coax but since both of those are pretty much obsolete there is less of a chance now for parallel paths although not unheard of.

Old sub panels in detached buildings had a 3 wire cable feeding them with a ground rod. I run into these all the time. I have to relocate a sub panel and have no choice but to continue using their same method. It bothers me that it does not meet modern code, having four wires. But I don’t know what else to do.
IMO the old way is better, typically there is a larger fault path conductor with the 3 wire where it's a combo neutral and fault path conductor.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
As long as there is no parallel neutral path back to the main building there is not a problem. The reason for the new requirement is basically the potential for human error like adding a phone line or coax but since both of those are pretty much obsolete there is less of a chance now for parallel paths although not unheard of.
Thank you