30 amp RV- VD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I have a customer that wants a 30 amp RV spot about 140’ feet away. He will also have 2-20 amp circuits. Trying to keep VD under 3% I get #4 copper.
My question is. I was trying to justify running a RV box with 50-30-20 connections so I could have 240 volts for smaller wire for my VD. I can’t justify it because more than likely he will only use the 30 amp.He will rarely use 20 amps- and then I will run into VD problem.
Any thought would help

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Yeah that probably would’ve been the best option. I still have to run the proper wire for the 30 amp but it save me on the 20 amp circuit.

Last edited:

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Upsell.

Explain to the customer that because of the long distance you need to run wire big enough for a 50A 240V receptacle. Would they like a pedestal with the 'works' (50-30-20)?

Note that going to 240V won't help you at all with your 30A voltage drop. However when you factor in that a 30A receptacle should be loaded to 24A on a continuous basis, and that the wire in the ground will be cooler than its rated operating temperature, I think you can get away with #6 Cu.

-Jon

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think a 240v feeder is still the way to go. 30a circuit on one line, two 20a circuits on the other.

And built-in future-proofing for a bigger RV and/or a small building.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
This calls for a factory made RV pedestal/panel with integral receptacles.

Look through the Midwest/Milbank/Siemens/etc catalog for the part number you like. A single feeder to it and you're done.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
In the future he going to have a shop up there. He just rushing for his RV right now so he can live in it. Got a 8 space 125 amp panel going to feed with 70 ch breaker. I don’t see his small shop using more than 70 if so it’s piped all the way. Plus wire good for 90 amps
Plus my VD will still be in rang (currently)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.