30 amps imbalance

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
On single phase installs, besides low voltage, not efficient, and alot of amperage on the neutral, what's the issue with having a panel be more then 30amps imbalanced?

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician
Well, I'm not a practicing electrician, but I feel I've picked up enough knowledge in 60+ years to ask the following questions:

1) How does 'efficiency' enter into this ?

2-a) If the feeders are properly sized, why does 30 amps of neutral current matter ?

2-b) With properly sized feeders, why would there be a concern about 'low voltage' ?

Moderators: If you feel this post is out-of-line, feel free to delete it.

Thank you.

karn

Occupation
Electrician
To answer your question, and my best guess:

1). An imbalanced load causes the neutral to carry excess current. If the neutral is not sized to handle this, it can overheat, leading to potential failure, electrical fires, or damage to equipment.

2.) The unbalanced load can cause significant voltage drops or fluctuations on the overloaded phase, affecting the performance of connected devices, potentially causing equipment malfunctions or premature wear.

3.) When one leg of a single-phase system is carrying significantly more current than the other, it increases losses due to resistance, lowering the overall system efficiency.

4). If the imbalance is significant, it can strain the transformer supplying the system. This can lead to overheating or damage to the transformer, reducing its lifespan or causing failure.

5). The imbalance might also affect the power factor, increasing demand charges or leading to penalties in commercial settings.

With that being said: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're worried about overloading the neutral, voltage fluctuations, etc.

Even on a 200 amp service, the imbalance is only about 15%. I wouldn't say it's going to be catastrophic, but yes, we typically try to distribute the loads more evenly.

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
I've been told to lay breakers in a way to keep everything as balanced on the sine wave as close to possible to minimize amperage on the neutral. Just curious

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've been told to lay breakers in a way to keep everything as balanced on the sine wave as close to possible to minimize amperage on the neutral. Just curious
Neutrals are designed to carry current under normal conditions. Can you expand on what the breakers have to do with a sine wave?

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
The phase oscillates on single phase service at....you guessed it, 60hz, at least here in the usa. No 50 im aware of besides inhouse generstors. Causing 120v of difference. Combined on both sides of the center tap, results in 240v. Im sure you know that, or im being quizzed.

If there's 120amps of breakers pulling off one conductor, and not 60/60 between both conductors I was curious if there's an issue with possibly voltage drop downstream, or making the transformer unhappy.

Obviously in 3phase a leg pulled down increases voltage on the other 2, reason the POCO staggers their transformer taps down the road, and also hang a neutral under them, but that's beyond the scope of the question regarding a center tap from a single phase.

kwired

Electron manager
The neutral is simply carrying unbalance of the other conductors. If the neutral conductor is large enough to carry the current imposed on it there is no inefficiency within the conductors.

Next thing is whether the source can handle said imbalance.

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
In general, I think the poco wants minimal and avoid as much as possible dumping imbalance onto the neutral, which is essentially bonded to the ground at the service entrance.

I guess a hypothetical question. Can an installer install a 200amp box, knock out every other slot, lay 10 20amp single breakers all on one conductor, it'll look weird, and pass inspection?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
'120A' of breakers does not mean 120A of load.

Say you have 8 15A 120V circuits on a residential panel. Good practice would be to put 4 of those circuits on one leg, 4 on the other. But you have zero guarantee that the circuits would be loaded evenly. You might end up with 60A of load on the neutral if the 4 circuits on one leg are fully loaded, and the 4 on the other leg are not loaded at all.

That is why the neutral must be sized to carry the maximum unbalanced load.

You are quite correct that the _goal_ is zero neutral current. But if you have independent L-N loads, you cannot achieve that goal, so the system must be designed to tolerate imbalance.

kwired

Electron manager
'120A' of breakers does not mean 120A of load.

Say you have 8 15A 120V circuits on a residential panel. Good practice would be to put 4 of those circuits on one leg, 4 on the other. But you have zero guarantee that the circuits would be loaded evenly. You might end up with 60A of load on the neutral if the 4 circuits on one leg are fully loaded, and the 4 on the other leg are not loaded at all.

That is why the neutral must be sized to carry the maximum unbalanced load.

You are quite correct that the _goal_ is zero neutral current. But if you have independent L-N loads, you cannot achieve that goal, so the system must be designed to tolerate imbalance.
If the source and the conductors can handle it there is no significant inefficiency though.

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
In some areas several houses are pulling off one transformer, i always wondered how imbalanced they might be at any given time and affecting the center tap load.

Wonder why after 30amps you can't find singles any larger?

In 3 phase distribution systems with a neutral, if a center tapped transformer is heavily loaded on its neutral, I'd imagine that finds its way back on the 3phase neutral to poco?

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
Grounding has nothing to do with it, it is simply another leg.
Two legs tied together, neutral and ground, is still 2 legs, at the service panel?

I always wondered why its such a big deal to keep them isolated but bonded at the entrance panel. If its that serious, then drop 4 leads from the pole to the weather head. Just my opinion.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician