Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgidden

Occupation
Electrician
So what they’re saying is that the induced voltage on the ferrous metal may cause it to heat up.
The grouping of the same phase will cause a stronger magnetic field therefore creating more induction.
I have no idea so just wanted to find out more info! Thanks!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So what they’re saying is that the induced voltage on the ferrous metal may cause it to heat up.
The grouping of the same phase will cause a stronger magnetic field therefore creating more induction.
I've heard that before and it's IMO a bunch of crap. Look at the bus bars in that panel, they're farther apart than your conductors and that doesn't cause any issues. Bus in large transformers, distribution panels and switchgear can literally be several feet apart without any problems.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I agree 100% with infinity that experience with busbars shows this is a non-issue.
Also, the currents in each group of wires with the same color will be in-phase with each other, and so the resulting magnetic field will be nearly identical to that from a single larger conductor that's flowing the same total current as a group of small wires. Therefore it's really no different than the feeder conductors on the right side, which are obviously not a problem.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Don't worry about it. In about 6 months those sticky TyRap pads are going to all come loose. I agree your work looks nice, but for an industrial control panel. For a building branch circuit breaker panel it's a waste of time and will make the job harder for someone who has to troubleshoot and trace wiring out. They will only cut those TyRaps off.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.