300.22 exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimura

Exception: This section shall not apply to the joist or stud spaces of dwelling units where the wiring passes through such spaces perpendicular to the long dimension of such spaces.

Does this mean nm can be run across (perpendicular) through the plenum and NOT be in violation ? The nm I need to run across is for lights in the above room. This nm is not affiliated with HVAC in any way.

The "plenum" in this case is your typical joist cavity, encased with sheet metal

thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The "plenum" in this case is your typical joist cavity, encased with sheet metal
How is it encased in sheet metal? That sound like it's a piece of metal duct not a plenum constructed from the stud space created by the drywall and wood studs.

Kimura

It's sheet metal attached to the bottom of the floor joists. Please see pic. The yellow arrow would be the direction of the nm, but would be behind the metal. The joists run left to right in the pic

I was wondering if I could (temporarily) pull back the sheet metal, run the romex through (perpendicularly) and reattach the metal

82FC0960-85C1-4C7C-ADA5-D10910D37099.jpeg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's sheet metal attached to the bottom of the floor joists.

I was wondering if I could (temporarily) pull back the sheet metal, run the romex through (perpendicularly) and reattach the metal
Yes you can do that. I was thrown off by the word encased.

Kimura

Thank you. Yes plan on using 3m's product for that

Just want to make sure everyone saw that this nm is for lights in the above room and is in no way affiliated with the HVAC system

Status
Not open for further replies.