300.50 cover requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddavi280

The way I interpret the cover requirements for special condition 6 for a 12470 Volt feeder is that if I have 6 inches of concrete cover I can reduce my 24 inches down to 6" (-18" per note 3). So if you goto note a , cover is defined by the distance from the top of the pipe to finished grade. I am inclined to include this 6 inches of concrete in that cover calculation. Am I off base? It seems pretty black and white to me. Any input appreciated.

ddavi280

So you have a clear picture of what we have... Finished grade will have 1 inch of asphalt followed by 6 inches of concrete to the top of my conduit. (which can't go any deeper due to conditions).

ddavi280

2008 code 300.50 far right column is for areas subject to vehicular traffic. This is a 12470 volt feeder for for several buildings on a University Campus. (future feeder actually but still applies).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So you have a clear picture of what we have... Finished grade will have 1 inch of asphalt followed by 6 inches of concrete to the top of my conduit. (which can't go any deeper due to conditions).

I would say that note 3 allows you to reduce the trench from 24" to 6" if there is 6" of concrete over it but I still think that means you need 6 inches below the concrete. Also Note 3 states for industrial establishments. I am not sure whether a univ. would meet that criterion.

ddavi280

I would say that note 3 allows you to reduce the trench from 24" to 6" if there is 6" of concrete over it but I still think that means you need 6 inches below the concrete. Also Note 3 states for industrial establishments. I am not sure whether a univ. would meet that criterion.

Your following my question perfectly! This is the point I want to discuss. If you read note (a) cover is defined clearly as top of pipe to finished grade. No where does it say "in addition to the concrete" from what I see. Therefore I feel the concrete counts as the 6" of cover over the top of pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.