300.9 wet location inside raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
I was watching one of the MH videos and this article was mentioned concerning the inside of raceways being wet locations when they are aboveground and located in a wet location.

The definition of "Location, Wet" says, "in unprotected locations exposed to weather." So, it appears that all conduits run outside are going to require conductors that are suitable for wet locations to be run through them.

I am confused because I have been under the impression that certain types of conduit parts were for wet locations (i.e. compression fittings, PVC, etc), thus making the raceway suitable for wires that could not be run in a wet location (i.e. NM cable).

Am I misunderstanding something? Or, is there an exception to this rule about the inside of the raceway being classified as a "wet location"?

On the field it is normal to see NM wires run through a crawlspace or attic and into the end of a conduit that heads outdoors and terminates into an outdoor panel. Is this a code violation?

Thank you for your help.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

I am confused because I have been under the impression that certain types of conduit parts were for wet locations (i.e. compression fittings, PVC, etc), thus making the raceway suitable for wires that could not be run in a wet location (i.e. NM cable).

Am I misunderstanding something? Or, is there an exception to this rule about the inside of the raceway being classified as a "wet location"?
The inside of a conduit is not a location. The conductors inside are wherever the conduit is. Despite our best efforts, even 100% sealed conduit runs outdoors and especially underground eventually fill with water from condensation.

On the field it is normal to see NM wires run through a crawlspace or attic and into the end of a conduit that heads outdoors and terminates into an outdoor panel. Is this a code violation?
This has been debated here many times. Cables entering the back of a weatherproof enclosure are considered protected, like the breakers in an exterior panel, but that does not apply to cables entering a conduit.

Yet, we somehow get away with using one or two conduit-and-LB assemblies for home runs entering an exterior panel from the crawl space. I agree it's puzzling. Your best bet is to discuss it with your inspector first.

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you for the welcome and for your help.

Perhaps the most practical and code compliant method to use would be UF cable to the first outlet when going through an outdoor raceway? I am just trying to think of any other problems (code, cost, etc.) that could arise when using that method.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NC has amended this to allow nm in a conduit outside if it is 6' or less

They amended that section with an exception

Exception: The raceway shall not be considered a wet location if: (1) The section of raceway routed in a wet location above grade does not exceed 1.8 m (6 ft) in length; (2) Any fittings or conduit bodies are watertight and listed for use in wet locations; and (3) All termination points of the raceway are only open in any of the following: a. A dry location; b. Equipment suitable for outdoor use; or c. Equipment listed for use in a wet location.

Status
Not open for further replies.