Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

No, it was about cpals post.

I did not have a good response to your post, I read those sections a bunch of times and find them more confusing then imaginable. :-?

Maybe I'm being too simple-minded. It appears to me if the conductors enter the enclosure on the side opposite of the terminals (bottom for bottom fed panels and top for top fed panels) you use table 312.6(B). If the conductors enter in a different side/end/back, you use table 312.6(A).

What am I missing?

I agree with your points that you can't come in the back of a resi panel with 4/0 conductors (3/0 also) because of the lack of depth of the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So what is the real issue here? :-? Bending the conductors 90 degrees after they enter through the back of the panel?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So what is the real issue here? :-? Bending the conductors 90 degrees after they enter through the back of the panel?

I believe that is the issue.

This all seems rather silly when I can install the same conductors in an LB condulet and bend a sharp 90 degree bend in the conductors. Now when I enter the panel the same sharp bend is prohibited. I must be missing something. :roll:

hardworkingstiff

This all seems rather silly when I can install the same conductors in an LB condulet and bend a sharp 90 degree bend in the conductors. Now when I enter the panel the same sharp bend is prohibited. I must be missing something. :roll:

I agree it seems silly, but I believe that is what it says. Maybe the LB guys are getting away with something?

Edit: after reading some more, I recind this comment. 312.6(A) does not apply to where conductors enter the the back to the panel cover, it's how far away the panel enclosure has to be from the terminal.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree it seems silly, but I believe that is what it says. Maybe the LB guys are getting away with something?

Edit: after reading some more, I recind this comment. 312.6(A) does not apply to where conductors enter the the back to the panel cover, it's how far away the panel enclosure has to be from the terminal.

That is what I was saying in post #20. I don't think any of this applies.

ME said:
In reading art. 312.6 I am not sure any of it relates to the wire entering the back of the box. It appears to me it is talking about the width of thebox not depth

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

This is a good clarification. I've been following this post, reading and re-reading 312.6 and was really getting all turned around.....

Note: Bending space at terminals shall be measured in a straight line from the end of the lug or wire connector (in the direction that the wire leaves
the terminal) to the wall, barrier, or obstruction.

The bend in question is at the terminal not the where it enters....
Trying to make it sink in so I don't get bogged down by this thought again. :smile:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
but does not 312.6 (A) refer to deflection of conductors in general
(entering a cabinet or cutout box)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
but does not 312.6 (A) refer to deflection of conductors in general
(entering a cabinet or cutout box)

The only part of 312.6 the doesn't refer to space at the terminal is

(A) Width of Wiring Gutters. Conductors shall not be
deflected within a cabinet or cutout box unless a gutter having
a width in accordance with Table 312.6(A) is provided. Conductors
in parallel in accordance with 310.4 shall be judged on
the basis of the number of conductors in parallel.

webelect

I was always taught thet 312.6 a is for "L" or 90 deg bends, 312.6 b is for "S" or "Z" bends.

Mine would be 2 90 deg bends coming into the back of the panel.

webelect

So if I was to change it to 2/0 cu good for 200 amp in residential, then I would only need 2 1/2" of space. So that would clear my panel which is 3 5/8" inside measurement, take away the threads and bushing (3/4") this would make me legal. I was misunderstood on what table a is refering to.

Status
Not open for further replies.