314.2 Round Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

squaredan

Hi I was reading 314.2 (2008) and wasnt sure what boxes 314.2 is talking about.. Round/ octagonal boxes? Plastic? If it is the Octogonal boxes then why put knockouts on the sides.... Little confused maybe I am reading it wrong.. If anyone could help that would be great..Dan

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hi I was reading 314.2 (2008) and wasnt sure what boxes 314.2 is talking about.. Round/ octagonal boxes? Plastic? If it is the Octogonal boxes then why put knockouts on the sides.... Little confused maybe I am reading it wrong.. If anyone could help that would be great..Dan

Think round then think octagonal. The octagonals are fine to enter the side.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A round box is actually round not octagonal so it cannot be used for side entry. Although octagon boxes are generally referred to as 4" round boxes the NEC doesn't use the terms interchangeably.

squaredan

A round box is actually round not octagonal so it cannot be used for side entry. Although octagon boxes are generally referred to as 4" round boxes the NEC doesn't use the terms interchangeably.

That was my thinking also... They are talking about Plastic round, dont know of Metal round except for pancakes boxes.. Thanks

marti smith

I think the commentary gives a little more clarity:

314.2 Round Boxes.

Round boxes shall not be used where conduits or connectors requiring the use of locknuts or bushings are to be connected to the side of the box.

Section 314.2 requires the use of rectangular or octagonal boxes having a flat bearing surface at each knockout for locknuts and bushings to ensure effective grounding continuity. Round boxes, however, can be used if the conduit or cable is secured by clamps within the box or if the cable does not need attachment to the box, as permitted by 314.17(C), Exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.