320 A pedestal service.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

When installing a 320 amp pedestal service, 225.30 would void having a meter with (2) 200 amp circuit breakers feeding the same structure, but 230.2 would allow a 320 amp meter with no breakers, but two service entrance conductors with two separate disconnects at the same structure, correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When installing a 320 amp pedestal service, 225.30 would void having a meter with (2) 200 amp circuit breakers feeding the same structure, but 230.2 would allow a 320 amp meter with no breakers, but two service entrance conductors with two separate disconnects at the same structure, correct?
I believe you would have to parallel the service conductors since you would have 2 service laterals. If you parallel to a trough and then have the disco I don't see an issue.

resistance

225.30 It covers a building or structure supplied by a branch circuit or feeder?where 225.30A-E presents the conditions in which a structure or building is permitted to be supplied by multiple sources.

See 230.2(A)-(D) for services

stickboy1375

I believe you would have to parallel the service conductors since you would have 2 service laterals. If you parallel to a trough and then have the disco I don't see an issue.

Dennis, what about 230.2?

230.2 Number of Services. A building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in 230.2(A) through (D). For the purpose of 230.40, Exception No. 2 only, underground sets of conductors , 1/0 AWG and larger, running to the same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered to be supplying one service.

stickboy1375

225.30 It covers a building or structure supplied by a branch circuit or feeder?where 225.30A-E presents the conditions in which a structure or building is permitted to be supplied by multiple sources.

See 230.2(A)-(D) for services

I know, but it seems to me, 230.2 allows two service entrance conductors....

resistance

Although the building or structure is being supplied by one service, you are allowed to have multiple disconnects per code.

stickboy1375

Although the building or structure is being supplied by one service, you are allowed to have multiple disconnects per code.

So you agree, 320 meter socket at pedestal , two sets of 4/0 service entrance conductors, tied together at the meter, landed at the structure in two separate 200 amp disconnects.

resistance

230.2 would allow a 320 amp meter with no breakers, but two service entrance conductors with two separate disconnects at the same structure, correct?
So, the answer is yes. See NEC 230.40

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

I would agree, but what do you if the POCO requires a pedestal with a breaker. We have one around here like that. I guess you would have to run 1 400 amp feeder to the house and split it there.

stickboy1375

I would agree, but what do you if the POCO requires a pedestal with a breaker. We have one around here like that. I guess you would have to run 1 400 amp feeder to the house and split it there.

You could do that, or just eliminate the pedestal all together, I don't like them anyway, nor see the advantage of installing one. A meter on a house is a far cry from being ugly compared to some of the decorating taste I've come across... ;)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
You could do that, or just eliminate the pedestal all together, I don't like them anyway, nor see the advantage of installing one. A meter on a house is a far cry from being ugly compared to some of the decorating taste I've come across... ;)

Some POCO's won't allow it any other way. ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis, what about 230.2?

230.2 Number of Services. A building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in 230.2(A) through (D). For the purpose of 230.40, Exception No. 2 only, underground sets of conductors , 1/0 AWG and larger, running to the same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered to be supplying one service.
You got it. I should have read that before I answered.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I'm not saying I agree, just that some POCO's insist on them. There real fun to find in the snow.

Snow? Whats that? I've heard of it, I think I seen some once (in 1976) but I'm not sure. Is that the white stuff on Christmas cards?

We have it tough in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.