320 Amp Residential Service with Meter 300 Feet from Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmeyer

I am running into fits with this project. I am familiar with "typical" 320 Amp residential services where a dual-lug meter base (often on an exterior wall) feeds two adjacent 200 Amp panels (usually mounted indoors, opposite the meter base).

That's a fairly straightforward arrangement. My current project, however, involves some difficulties I cannot seem to arrive at answers for. It all involves stuff on the load side of the meter, so I do not think the POCO will feel like weighing in. I figure I may need to run this by the inspector, but I want to do so intelligently only after researching my options.

As for the difficulties, here's how it differs from most situations: We are working on a 4200 sq. ft. house in a rural setting. The physical arrangement of the site, and the owner's preference, made POCO access to the house itself difficult. We decided the best place to locate the meter base was at the loop drive access about 300 feet from the house. The POCO ran their conductors underground to this meter base, which is mounted on a uni-strut rack. Per NEC sec. 220 our load calc puts us at about 240 Amps. We also want to allow for additional capacity for future needs. After discussing the project with the POCO engineers, we opted against a 400 Amp service for two reasons: First it would require Current Transformer metering- no big deal, just additional equipment and cost. Second, with the length of the run, they would have had to run their primaries underground and provide a transformer pad closer to the building- something else the owners do not want.

So we now have a 320 Amp underground supplied meter base mounted remote about 340 feet from the house. We have 340 feet of 4" PVC conduit from that meter base to the house. Based on the distance from the meter to the house, my first thought was to up the conductors to 500kcmil to compensate for voltage drop, to feed a 320/400 amp load center with 200 Amp main and 200 Amp sub-feed to a second load center interior to the house.

I have found panels that accommodate such an arrangement- basically 400/320A rated with lugs able to accommodate a single pair of 500 kcmil conductors, and then basically having one 200A main to feed a subpanel, with the bus then feeding straight down to a second 200 amp main for the load center itself. It is a neat arrangement, however most of the panels I have found with such an arrangement are all built with the meter socket integral to the panel. I have found one such panel made by Murray(Siemens) with the accommodation for two 200 Amp mains, one for the load center and one for a subpanel and no meter socket, but their lead time on delivering that panel is eight weeks. I am also starting to be a little mystified by the nomenclature- some panels are Meter-Main, other are called Combination Panels- don't know which might specifically refer to what I am trying to do.

So my questions are: Is there a "typical" way of feeding a service from a meter base mounted hundreds of feet from the building? Do those service conductors need a disconnecting means at the meter? (230.91, 230.71)(and/or overcurrent protection?) Is it acceptable or is it normal practice to bypass a meter socket with bypass lugs and blank off the opening in situations where no meter is being used at the building, or as in my case where the meter is located remotely? I know most meter bases provide means for a temporary bypass when the meter is being installed/removed, but I am not sure if the manual bypass lugs I am thinking of are intended to be installed as a means of permanently bypassing the meter socket when no meter is to be used at the panel.

So again in short- The house has already had 320 Amp service pulled to a meter base 340 feet from the building. Service to the meter is underground. Feeders from the meter will be underground in 4" PVC- this conduit is already in place. We want to avoid two parallel wire runs between the meter and the house- would prefer a single larger run (500 kcmil). The meter base currently does not have its own disconnect, but there is room for one adjacent to the meter base. We are trying to provide one 200 Amp panel in the garage and a 150 or 200 Amp subpanel about 60 feet to the other end of the residence. How might you approach this if it were your project? I have hung lots of 200A panels on houses, outbuildings and such, but this remote meter base thing has me stumped.

I know this has been a long post- I hope I was clear in describing what we are trying to do- any help is much appreciated.

Rob

kwired

Electron manager
Unless POCO has specific requirements on how they want something done NEC only sees the meter as a cabinet and special equipment inserted into the service conductors. If you didn't put any disconnect at the remote location you still have service conductors leaving the meter.

You can run a single 400 amp conductor to the house, you can run two to six sets of conductors to two to six service disconnecting means at the house - they can each be different sizes if you wish. You could also run whatever combination of parallel conductors you want to the house and supply one to six service disconnects from it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I suspect that the 240A calculated load is going to translate into loads of under 100A most of the time so voltage drop wont be an issue.

Personally, in lieu of a 500 kcm conductor, maybe you should consider running a couple of 3/0 conductors.

rjmeyer

I suspect that the 240A calculated load is going to translate into loads of under 100A most of the time so voltage drop wont be an issue.

Personally, in lieu of a 500 kcm conductor, maybe you should consider running a couple of 3/0 conductors.

I was thinking the same. The jury is still out on final load until I nail down what the heating coils on the two 5 ton heat pumps draw. There is a label on the unit for the installer to fill in the number of coils and wattage but it is blank- Either way this is definitely a job where allowing for a little more ampacity might be a good idea.

rjmeyer

Thanks for the feedback-

Thanks for the feedback-

I considered your responses and did a bit more research. I am considering two options, and I decided that one or two quick diagrams might go a long way to clarifying what I am trying to do. A few things should be considered with these drawings- first, the 320 amp meter base is already on place with the service connection made (POCO left the conductors disconnected and secured at the pole), also the 340' run of 4" PVC Conduit is already in place. Everything else is still open to change. We are trying for an installation that places the load centers indoors, so that is just one reason I am considering the second option. I do not even know if the first option is possible or code compliant, based mainly on whether or not a 400 Amp residential combination panel can have the meter socket permanently bypassed with lugs as I have described.

Anyway, I will attempt to attach the sketches to this post- any feedback is much appreciated.- Rob

Electrical_Service2a.jpg

Electrical_Service3a.jpg

rjmeyer

... also just to reiterate, we certainly could have simply requested that the POCO run their primaries underground and provide a transformer pad closer to the house, but the existing transformer is already servicing another building, and with the physical arrangement of the site the owners very much do not want a transformer pad in the area. And, of course, underground service is a must.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I would install a 400 amp fused or breakered disconnect at the stanchion feeding one set of wires in the conduit.

I would then install a gutter or j-box with distribution blocks inside to feed the panels you want, while making sure to follow the tap rules.

We've done work in Washington, and it's a different cat sometimes, I'd be sure to run any plan I had by the inspector. Don't forget your grounding electrode system at both the stanchion and the home.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why would you use a meter/main in option 1 since you don't intend to have a meter? You are probably going to have a hard time finding one that doesn't have a factory bonded neutral. Most combination service entrance devices are rated for use as service entrance equipment only and can not be supplied by feeders.

Option 2 would not comply with 225.30. I'm also curious whey you say no neutral will be run with the feeder.

When I have done similar projects I have used a 400 amp panelboard at the house then run additional feeders from the panelboard. If you don't want to use a 400 amp panelboard you could run the 400 amp feeder to a gutter at the house with taps to 2-200 amp disconnects.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I considered your responses and did a bit more research. I am considering two options, and I decided that one or two quick diagrams might go a long way to clarifying what I am trying to do. A few things should be considered with these drawings- first, the 320 amp meter base is already on place with the service connection made (POCO left the conductors disconnected and secured at the pole), also the 340' run of 4" PVC Conduit is already in place. Everything else is still open to change. We are trying for an installation that places the load centers indoors, so that is just one reason I am considering the second option. I do not even know if the first option is possible or code compliant, based mainly on whether or not a 400 Amp residential combination panel can have the meter socket permanently bypassed with lugs as I have described.

Anyway, I will attempt to attach the sketches to this post- any feedback is much appreciated.- Rob

View attachment 18422

View attachment 18423

I don't know if you just missed it but the 2nd (I think) drawing shows two 3/0 conductors without a neutral. How do you plan on powering the house's 120V loads without a neutral?

kwired

Electron manager
Does POCO require the meter or the disconnect that is 340 feet from the house?

If not why not run service lateral all the way to the house and put meter and service disconnect on the house?

If they want meter at that location but don't require a disconnect, then I would still put service disconnect on the house, NEC doesn't require a disconnect near the meter.

growler

The physical arrangement of the site, and the owner's preference, made POCO access to the house itself difficult.

Before you waste time, effort and money you should get with the power company and have an engineer make a site visit. They may not give a darn if the meter is a little hard to get to (smart meters) and will be OK with you putting it at the house.

You need to make sure the power compay is OK with anything you plan to do anyway. Easier and cheaper to spend 30 minutes with one of their engineers than make changes later.

I'm old and lazy. If I can I only do things once.

rjmeyer

Before you waste time, effort and money you should get with the power company and have an engineer make a site visit. They may not give a darn if the meter is a little hard to get to (smart meters) and will be OK with you putting it at the house.

You need to make sure the power compay is OK with anything you plan to do anyway. Easier and cheaper to spend 30 minutes with one of their engineers than make changes later.

I'm old and lazy. If I can I only do things once.

That is good advice- this whole process has been done hand in hand with the POCO engineers. They have reviewed our needs and assisted with the existing undergrond run to the meter, which also involved relocating service to another building from overhead to underground. They are the ones who suggested underground primaries run closer to the house and a transformer pad, which the owner wishes to avoid. They also are the ones who determined they could not run their secondaries the full distance (almost 400') in one continuous run, which is how we arrived at the existing meter location.

As one might expect, the POCO were not really interested in what would happen beyond the meter, but nonetheless I do intend to run this by them (and the inspector) again once I come up with a plan and before I do any additional work. I am like you- I do not enjoy doing the same job twice and more importantly, I don't enjoy spending money to do a job only to spend money to undo the job and then to spend more money to redo the job.

That is why I value this forum so much. I have poked around in here before as a guest and I can tell there is a minimum amount of B.S. and you guys (the mods in particular) are more interested in safety and in staying within the limitations of the NEC than you are with mere opinions or the "I done it this way my whole life" attitude. This is the first project where I have come across something I could not safely and confidently work through myself- as I said, I want to get it right the first time. I imagine there might be more than one "right way" to approach this, but I really do appreciate having such a wide knowledge base from which to draw.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Cost must not factor too much into this?

If my place I think I would find acceptable location for the transformer vs paying for 400 feet of 500 copper.

Need more capacity down the road, swap transformer - primary conductor is still going to be able to handle the load.

rjmeyer

I would install a 400 amp fused or breakered disconnect at the stanchion feeding one set of wires in the conduit.

I would then install a gutter or j-box with distribution blocks inside to feed the panels you want, while making sure to follow the tap rules.

We've done work in Washington, and it's a different cat sometimes, I'd be sure to run any plan I had by the inspector. Don't forget your grounding electrode system at both the stanchion and the home.

Really close to what I am considering. By "tap rules" I would assume you are referring to the 25 ft limitation on taps of a lower ampacity than their source? Can't cite the ref. off the top of my head but I know where to find it. Only thing is that our subpanel would be about 60 ft away, so I figure the cleanest approach would be to just have the taps feed two adjacent panels in the garage and then out the one panel with its own breaker to feed the sub.

That approach would sort of be a combination of what I showed in the sketches- I should have drawn up an "Option 3".

Here is what I would do:

Run two sets of 250 URD service entrance conductors from the class 320 socket to two grouped 200 amp main breaker load centers per 230.40 Ex #2 (or two 150's, but 200s are pretty much the same price and you probably want a little bigger than minimum wire size for VD anyway). then just install a 100 amp sub in the middle or other side of the house if you think its worth it.

The next level of cost/complication up is to order a 400 amp MB panelboard with a 200 amp breaker for the sub feed (or maybe 100 would be adequate and cheaper). Talk to a a few "gear guys" at some supply houses, they can get you that no problem.

rjmeyer

Why would you use a meter/main in option 1 since you don't intend to have a meter? You are probably going to have a hard time finding one that doesn't have a factory bonded neutral. Most combination service entrance devices are rated for use as service entrance equipment only and can not be supplied by feeders...

Having a hard time finding 400A load centers without the meter socket- most are commercial and pricey. Hadn't considered the neutral bonding thing- most 200A panels I have used have a removable link. Also hadn't considered that service entrance equipment can't be supplied by feeders. I knew that panels not listed for services could not be used as such, but I did not realize the service entrance equipment could not be used elsewhere.

...Option 2 would not comply with 225.30...

I had always read 225.30 to mean that a separate building could not be served by more that one circuit from differing locations, similar to how 230.2 limits the number of services to a building. I thought my arrangement would be permitted by 225.33 considering the discos are adjacent to one another.

...I'm also curious whey you say no neutral will be run with the feeder...

Actually I haven't nailed down the neutral situation yet. POCO did not pull a neutral conductor through their underground so no neutral connection at the pole. I had thought they might bond to ground at my meter installation, but the inspector made me remove the ground connection I had installed there- One more reason I will need to get back with the POCO engineers before any more work is done.

...you could run the 400 amp feeder to a gutter at the house with taps to 2-200 amp disconnects.

I am leaning toward this option as the safest and most direct.

Thanks for the help!

rjmeyer

Here is what I would do:

Run two sets of 250 URD service entrance conductors from the class 320 socket to two grouped 200 amp main breaker load centers per 230.40 Ex #2 (or two 150's, but 200s are pretty much the same price and you probably want a little bigger than minimum wire size for VD anyway). then just install a 100 amp sub in the middle or other side of the house if you think its worth it...

That is pretty much how I had Option 2 laid out, but I guess the question with that arrangement is how the two sets of conductors are connected at the meter. The conductors going out will be smaller than the ones coming in, so won't they need the two breaker disconnects at the meter like I have in the drawing? At 340' the runs would be way past the 25' tap rule limitation allowance.

rjmeyer

I don't know if you just missed it but the 2nd (I think) drawing shows two 3/0 conductors without a neutral. How do you plan on powering the house's 120V loads without a neutral?

Maybe I shouldn't have included the note about the neutral. POCO did not pull a neutral conductor underground from the pole. Not sure where they thought it should be bonded to ground- so the origin of the neutral connection is actually up in the air until I get back with the engineer.

Having a hard time finding 400A load centers - most are commercial and pricey.
that is what you get when you get out of 200A and less loadcenter territory - its gunna be a big price jump. That is why we almost always build 400-600A resi stuff out of multiple 200's.

That is pretty much how I had Option 2 laid out, but I guess the question with that arrangement is how the two sets of conductors are connected at the meter. The conductors going out will be smaller than the ones coming in, so won't they need the two breaker disconnects at the meter like I have in the drawing? At 340' the runs would be way past the 25' tap rule limitation allowance.

No they are service entrance conductors, thus the feeder tap rules do not apply (also note there is an unlimited length feeder tap rule for outside feeders). Basically for service entrance conductors, you just have to protect a conductor (at the load end, from overload) at its rating, plus next size up. A SEC serving multiple service disconnects need not have this overload protection but must be sized to the load calc.

Status
Not open for further replies.