320 Meter Socket, Service set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA Sparky

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the service set up of a 320 meter socket.
The set up is as follows...

Have riser coming to the 320 meter. From the meter I have conduit run under the slab to a 200 amp main breaker house panel. Does this service need to have a disconnect on it by the meter socket?

The plan is to have another dwelling unit in the future use the remaining Lugs in the 320 meter. Do I need a disconnect for the future service.

Would love any input or suggestions on what to do differently!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In the jurisdictions that I am familiar with the install would be approved without any overcurrent at the meter.

kwired

Electron manager
Someone long time ago mentioned on this site that a meter is just wide point in the service conductors (most typical installations where the meter is simply the POCO's cash register ahead of service disconnecting means) and gets no special treatment from NEC. You do about same thing with it as you would a junction or pull box in the service conductors.

rlundsrud

How far from the meter socket to the main panel is it? I can't remember what the exact distance, I think its either 5 or 6 ft but if it exceeds that in some jurisdictions they require a disconnect at the meter.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
How far from the meter socket to the main panel is it? I can't remember what the exact distance, I think its either 5 or 6 ft but if it exceeds that in some jurisdictions they require a disconnect at the meter.

That’s usually from the point of entry. Most jurisdictions don’t consider “under the slab” as entering the structure, only the portion that is exposed coming out of the slab.

ceb58

I agree as long as you follow the "closest point of entry" when the conduit emerges from the concrete no disco. As far as the other I would set a disconnect for the future feeder that way you don't have to mess with the POCO to get back into the meter base.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the service set up of a 320 meter socket.
The set up is as follows...

Have riser coming to the 320 meter. From the meter I have conduit run under the slab to a 200 amp main breaker house panel. Does this service need to have a disconnect on it by the meter socket?

The plan is to have another dwelling unit in the future use the remaining Lugs in the 320 meter. Do I need a disconnect for the future service.

Would love any input or suggestions on what to do differently!

As others have said, this is fine by the NEC. However, it may not be OK with the POCO. Many POCOs have requirements as to where the service disconnect is in relation to the metering point.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree as long as you follow the "closest point of entry" when the conduit emerges from the concrete no disco. As far as the other I would set a disconnect for the future feeder that way you don't have to mess with the POCO to get back into the meter base.

In our jurisdiction, that would create a problem. If you set ONE disconnect at the meter for future use and feed from the meter underslab to your house service panel, we consider that a violation of 230.72

kwired

Electron manager
In our jurisdiction, that would create a problem. If you set ONE disconnect at the meter for future use and feed from the meter underslab to your house service panel, we consider that a violation of 230.72

If on same structure yes.

Sounds like if it is a PITA to get POCO out to do such things best thing may be to install meter-main with dual main breakers, then you don't need POCO intervention to add something to the second main later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.