334.15 (C) Unfinished Basements

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: 334.15 (C) Unfinished Basements

EMT in framing is a real task. Now that's excessive. We have to use flex in some places around here, I would think that should suffice.

I'd sympathize but you and your hairy buddies would probably beat me up
:D :D :D Sympathy, when I was your age we didn't have sympathy. We couldn't afford it.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

George,

Maybe I can add a little light to what Pierre posted.

A running board is more protective of cables.

Cables run joist to joist thru drilled holes have nothing to physically prevent the cable from being used to directly support something else. . .like wood, skis, laundry, the usual things we've seen. When the cable is strapped to the underside of a running board, strapped and stretched so as to closely follow the surface of the running board, then there is no way to readily hang clothes from the cable and it is impossible to put the skis on top of the cable. . .the running board bears the support of these other things.

But, the cable run joist to joist, through drilled holes, is, by definition in 300.4, protected from physical damage.

With some of the old wiring installations that I have to deal with on occasion, not having running boards as a solution would lead to significantly more complex problem and yield an installation that is not as sturdy.

physis

Hey, wait a minute George, that's what "you bet" means. I'm being penalized for efficiency. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

A person in your position can wager on that presumption with the peace of mind of someone who knows that they are, indeed, on the road to truth.

Or, you bet. :D

kendog

Inactive, Email Never Verified

You can build a cable tray to get away from this issue. The way I was trained was to nail a 2" x 2" about 12 or so inches apart the length of your basement then run all your wires that run on the bottom of the joist between these boards and over these boards when you need to go down a stude bay. When your done just cap it with osb or plywood and your done. Hope this helps you guys.

[ January 11, 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: kendog ]

Status
Not open for further replies.