334.15 (Residential cabinets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimura

My supervisor has asked me to spec a residential job for under cabinet lighting. I’ve located the power source from a lower floor. 1/2” EMT will pass up from lower floor, directly into lower part of kitchen cabinetry (into metal 4” JC)

The other cabinet I need to get to is inaccessible via the basement , so I’m planning on running 3/8” flex up through lower cabinet and across cabinetry above microwave (to get to other cabinets)

Per 334.15, flex should be sufficient for protection from physical damage. But getting conflicting answers.

Thoughts?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My supervisor has asked me to spec a residential job for under cabinet lighting. I’ve located the power source from a lower floor. 1/2” EMT will pass up from lower floor, directly into lower part of kitchen cabinetry (into metal 4” JC)

The other cabinet I need to get to is inaccessible via the basement , so I’m planning on running 3/8” flex up through lower cabinet and across cabinetry above microwave (to get to other cabinets)

Per 334.15, flex should be sufficient for protection from physical damage. But getting conflicting answers.

Thoughts?

I agree that 3/8" flex should be fine however if you read this (below) an inspector could turn it down. My personal opinion is where it says "where necessary" and inside the cabinet is not a place I would worry about

334.15(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected
from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal
conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing,
Schedule 80 PVC conduit, Type RTRC marked with the suffix -
XW, or other approved means. Where passing through a floor,
the cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate
metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC
conduit, Type RTRC marked with the suffix -XW, or other
approved means extending at least 150 mm (6 in.) above the
floor.

Kimura

I agree that 3/8" flex should be fine however if you read this (below) an inspector could turn it down. My personal opinion is where it says "where necessary" and inside the cabinet is not a place I would worry about

Thank you Dennis

Pulling 14/2 through 3/8 flex isn’t fun, but I’ve done it once before

Status
Not open for further replies.