3ft between energy storage system

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
When SolarEdge first came out with their white paper that said that they don't need string fusing when three strings are combined, one AHJ we deal with said that since the document came from the same company as the product they would not accept it.
That's not the same. The UL9540A test report would be an NRTL document. It's just up to the manufacturer to decide who to share it with.

jaggedben

Occupation
AFAICT it's not clear that SCCFD even knows about the report, and if they don't know, they can't get and can't evaluate.
I doubt it. Just knowing the organizations involved and having dealt with UL9540A reports with other Bay Area jurisdictions (and a different manufacturer), as well as the nature of the market in their jurisdiction, I would bet SCCFD has had ample opportunity to review the report.

jaggedben

Occupation
It is a shame that Tesla does not share with us the report they supposably provide to AHJs. We could be an advocate for reasonable decision making if we knew what was in it.

The marketing and legal depts don't want the post-test images of the equipment circulating on the interwebs.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
That's not the same. The UL9540A test report would be an NRTL document. It's just up to the manufacturer to decide who to share it with.
Then I don't get it. Why wouldn't the manufacturer put it out on the web for anyone and everyone to see? Email it to anyone who asks for it? Print it out on leaflets and drop them from planes?

pv_n00b

When SolarEdge first came out with their white paper that said that they don't need string fusing when three strings are combined, one AHJ we deal with said that since the document came from the same company as the product they would not accept it.
That's why SE went and got a letter from Bill Brooks saying it was okay.

pv_n00b

The marketing and legal depts don't want the post-test images of the equipment circulating on the interwebs.
Tesla is really careful about photos of their equipment. I was in an area where some Tesla supercharges were being worked on so I was talking to the tech. They said that I could watch but I can't take any photos of the open superchargers.