3PH Wye Configuration - Safety Switch Wiring Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

customfab4x4

Occupation
Engineer
Greetings,

I would greatly appreciate any insights from the knowledgeable 3PH high voltage folks. I'm an engineer and have years of experience in 1PH residential and solar power applications but 3PH is a bit new to me. I'm working with my electrical company to bring in 3PH Wye configuration for my business to run several different 480V machines. I have the 3PH on my property at this point and now I'm responsible for wiring from the socket meter.

I'm adding a 600V 400A safety switch at the pole to then run the lines underground to my buildings. However, I've never done this before.

I was looking at 3 pole safety switches. But my understanding is that the Wye configuration takes 5 wires (3 hots, neutral and ground).

Can someone help me on the safety switch specs? I'm only seeing 3-pole 600V 400A safety switches which I'm trying to buy locally at a discount (used). I'm not clear if a 3-pole is appropriate under my situation given the neutral and grounds?? And if a 3-pole switch is ok to us then how to the neutral and ground lead play into things for panel wiring at the buildings.

Sorry, I feel like a bit of a dumbass for asking this question. I promise that I'll learn quick!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
given the very basic nature of your questions, I suggest getting help from a competent electrician.

in any case, you would not normally disconnect the N or G legs. Just the three hot wires.

as for wiring the thing up, the exact wiring would depend on several factors and is best left to a competent electrician to handle for you.

it is not worth killing or injuring yourself or someone else to save a few bucks.

As a special hint, there is nothing real different from wiring up 3 phase power than single phase power, the rules and the physics are the same.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
You will need a netural kit with the disc.
Then from there it depending if this is you service disc. It does sound like it is.
A sketch will help.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the Report Button at the lower left hand corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.