3phase 120/208y service generator install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
I would not plug thousands of dollars of servers and POS into a $900 generator.
This genset is only 900.00 and is something they had. I haven’t looked into pricing anything for a 3phase system...

They won’t be plugged into genset directly. they will be in a sub panel that is fed by genset. Why wouldn’t you? Actually curious not being a smart a...

Todd0x1

They won’t be plugged into genset directly. they will be in a sub panel that is fed by genset. Why wouldn’t you? Actually curious not being a smart a...

I will reword my earlier statement "I wouldn't supply thousands of dollars of servers and POS with a $900 generator"

The power coming out of these generators isn't "clean" or stable with regard to voltage and frequency, and god help you should the generator run out of fuel or the engine die while powering the load. It is generally understood that sensitive electronics should not be supplied by these types of generators. The right thing would be something like a "real" generator, diesel plant with frequency control and voltage/frequency monitoring. Or for such a small application like this I would consider using a Honda EU7000is which is a gas inverter generator with split phase output via a L14-30.

Todd0x1

feeding a UPS with a crappy generator can still be a problem. UPS constantly cycling or flat out refusing to accept the generator's power, poor quality generator output damaging ups, etc.

Yes sever wise everything is plugged into apc Schnieder battery back ups...

Are the APC SmartUPS or APC BackUPS, huge difference between the product lines. The SmartUPS are generally much better units (and cost more), I won't use the BackUPS except to keep a light bulb lit or maybe a small fan turning.

As for the generator output- that's the whole purpose of the UPS, to make bad power better, and really, even the cheap generators aren't that bad unless they've been badly abused. You don't need crystal-governed generators, here. And there's very little to be lost by doing a controlled test, which I would do anyway.

Todd0x1

smartups are generally line interactive (unless specifically one of the handful of online models) they will constantly cycle between line and battery when running on a small construction generator. And when they are on utility/gen theyre passing that through to the load. APC has some whitepapers on this, detailing how if you are going to run ups from small gas generator you have to go into powercute and turn the pq sensitivity all the way down, and oversize the generator 3x-5x. I will try to find the docs tonight.

might also want to check with h/w vendor to see if warranty will cover blown up power supplies if run from a small generator.

(sorry about the quoting above, it's too late to fix)

smartups are generally line interactive (unless specifically one of the handful of online models)
Yes, generally line-interactive; not as good as Liebert full on-line, but pretty good.

they will constantly cycle between line and battery when running on a small construction generator.
a) evidence, please (I suspect the generator would need to be having a lot of problems to cause this).
b) the OP is talking about running what's probably 2KW on an 8KW generator (which many people would not consider "small"), we're not talking about an 800w lunchbox-size generator. As long as the loads are relatively constant, the speed & voltage will be, too. Just don't try starting a walk-in cooler compressor or something like that.

oversize the generator 3x-5x.
Which is exactly what it sounds like.

To the OP-
Which model UPSs are they really?
Have you done an actual load survey or are you leaving that to the customer?

Todd0x1

a) evidence, please (I suspect the generator would need to be having a lot of problems to cause this).
from https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158891/

A common characteristic of generators is the normal output voltage distortion when supplying power to nonlinear loads such as computers. This output voltage distortion can be interpreted by the UPS as unacceptable power quality, forcing the UPS to transfer to battery operation. When the load is transferred to the battery, naturally the generator distortion will be reduced or disappear, leading the UPS to attempt to transfer back to line operation. When the load is reapplied to the generator, the distortion will return, leading the UPS to once again transfer to battery. This cycle may repeat indefinitely at intervals of approximately 4 seconds. The answer in this case is to choose a generator which will not distort, when the nonlinear computer load is applied.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Really what they were worried most about is servers and pos...
well .. Not sure which is more cost effective or practical,

Get a 3 phase generator as mentioned earlier or

Install a separate 120/240v single phase distribution panel dedicated to the servers and registers fed from a new transformer boosting the 208 to 240, then generate that new 120/240 distribution during failure.

Todd0x1

Another point id like to make is the generators under discussion don't even publish their voltage regulation tolerance or frequency stability. You're relying purely on a mechanical governor to maintain the engine at 3600 rpm for your 60hz and very little rotating mass or inertia to dampen load transients. The APC smartups will only tolerate +/-3% variation of line frequency. Last, I just finished reading the manual for the pulsar (wanted to see the diagrams) and it happens to contain a disclaimer about not being responsible for damage to sensitive electronics and requiring use of a "approved line conditioner" whatever that is...

Strombea

Sorry corrections made... I should use a switched neutral double throw it will be considered a separately derived system and I will need to make sure grounded conductor snd egc at the genset frame are bonded and isolated at sub panel and double throw?
[/QUOTE]

Why would you want it to be separately derived?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
from https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158891/

A common characteristic of generators is the normal output voltage distortion when supplying power to nonlinear loads such as computers. This output voltage distortion can be interpreted by the UPS as unacceptable power quality, forcing the UPS to transfer to battery operation. When the load is transferred to the battery, naturally the generator distortion will be reduced or disappear, leading the UPS to attempt to transfer back to line operation. When the load is reapplied to the generator, the distortion will return, leading the UPS to once again transfer to battery. This cycle may repeat indefinitely at intervals of approximately 4 seconds. The answer in this case is to choose a generator which will not distort, when the nonlinear computer load is applied.
I had that issue on one install, the job was sold by another contractor, but they could not fullfill the install schedule (about 100 installs for a big box chain) 12 Kw Generac, the customer ran a business out of his basement, had a large server and UPS, with six workstations. UPS did not like the generator!

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
Sorry corrections made... I should use a switched neutral double throw it will be considered a separately derived system and I will need to make sure grounded conductor snd egc at the genset frame are bonded and isolated at sub panel and double throw?

Why would you want it to be separately derived?
[/QUOTE]

I can tell you I was on vacation with no code book. After looking at my book I would also agree that I need a solid neutral double throw... and it would be a non separate derived system.... for some reason I though it had to have grounding and grounded conductors bonded to be a non sep system... .... I just need to have a solid neutral. The service disconnect should have grounding and grounded conductors bonded and then everything else from there on out should have grounded and grounding conductors isololated

rlqdot

Occupation
Professional Engineer (multiple states) - building design
I have a 400a mpd that feeds 3 separate individual 200a breakers and panels. They want a generator installed on one of the panels so they can run there point of sale and server. They’re looking st getting a 10kw 120/240 portable generator. I was going to add a 1ph 200a double throw after the service disconnect and before the 200a panel, but then realized the service is 120/208y 3phase and the generator is only 1 phase... does anyone see that being an issue besides the third phase not having power during an outage or any other concerns? There are no 3 phase loads in the panel being used. All that will be needed during an outages are 7 20amp 1ph 120v circuits 4 for point of sale computers that were pulling 1amp each, and three for servers that were pulling 1.3a, 1.3a, and .9a and three 120v 1 ph 20amp circuits. Any and all help is appreciate! Thanks in advance!

I know I am extremely late to this party, but does anyone else see any problem with the operator wanting to keep power on to the point of sale equipment, which would imply occupants inside a building, without also providing power to the egress lighting circuits? "Lunchbox" or "bug eye" emergency lights are intended to evacuate occupants from the building, not provide lighting for continued occupancy. I would be cautious of giving them a power source they think will allow them to stay in the building - in the event the generator AND emergency lights fail and someone cannot exit during an emergency (isn't failed lighting considered an emergency?) be prepared to be named in the law suits that follow - IMHO.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One more wrinkle, if there is equipment that will accept it, would be to install a three phase UPS constantly online with battery charging, and then charge it normally from three phase grid power but at a reduced capacity from single phase generator power during an outage. Sort of like using a VFD to drive a three phase motor from a single phase source.
It might not be able to fully maintain the batteries, but it could extend their run time significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.