3rd Party Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every place I’ve ever worked included a section on third part testing. And it seems to make the cut on every job. There is a sort of a “yeah - that can’t hurt - leave it in”. Or as one guy once told me. It’s good leverage. If there hitting us with a change order, we can ask them how much third part testing is worth to them. I don’t particularly care for that strategy.

But here’s my question. Barring any given state having an ammendment effecting the answer, is it ever required to have third party testing.

How about fire alarm systems?

I’d just be interested in your collective take on the whole subject.

And by the way, what’s practical difference between third party testing and comissioning?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
OSHA's standards contain requirements for approval of certain products by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). For example, in 29 CFR 1910.303, OSHA requires NRTL approval for many kinds of electrical equipment when they are used in the workplace.

As I see it, the NRTL requirement applies to specific equipment to assure it meets recognized standards such as UL508. Commissioning normally apples to the entire installation to assure it meets the owners/engineers/architects requirement.

No doubt you will get more detailed answers from folks involved in the process.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
And by the way, what’s practical difference between third party testing and comissioning?
A third party doing the testing brings a less biased approach maybe. To me commissioning is getting it up and running and testing makes sure it works right. The thing is often no one who installed the equipment has a clue how a lot of it is supposed to work, and often no one has bothered to write that down so a third party can make sure it actually works that way.

ron

There are very few code required testing parts, but where it is required, I do not think it must be third party. For example, even 230.95(C), which requires ground fault testing for service disconnect GFP, requires performance testing, but if the installer is qualified, it doesn't have to be third party.
3rd Party testing and commissioning are generally contract requirements.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are you talking about third party transformer and breaker testing on switchgear and MCCs after being installed? That’s pretty common to request in some industries. The concept is basically “not allowing the foxes to certify the henhouse security”. In other words if you are the one who bought and supplied the gear, they want someone different to check the settings and whether it meets specs. There is an entire industry certification program for that called NETA (National Electrical Testing Assoc.) and most project specs asking for it will require that testing after installation be done by a NETA certified agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.