4/0 SER will it fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Will 4/0 SER 4 wire fit in a 2" I don't know how to size the outer sheath? What size splice box would you recommend to splice 4/0 in? Im switching from USE-2 to SER. And lastly can you drill a 2 1/2" through a rim Joyce? Modular homes... screwy! 2 1/2" since 4/0 triplex with a #4 urd won't fit in a 2" by code.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Will 4/0 SER 4 wire fit in a 2" I don't know how to size the outer sheath?
Get the outside diameter (widest dimension where not circular) from the manufacturer. It is typically given on the data sheet. Calculate the vross sectional area with that diameter as though it is circular, then apply Chapter 9, Table 1 rules...

What size splice box would you recommend to splice 4/0 in?
Refer to 314.28(A)(2).

Im switching from USE-2 to SER. And lastly can you drill a 2 1/2" through a rim Joyce? Modular homes... screwy! 2 1/2" since 4/0 triplex with a #4 urd won't fit in a 2" by code.
Typically yes. If it is a load bearing member over its entire length, which it is typically not, the hole has to go in the middle third measured width-wise... and there are some other requirements I'd have to dig up, but I'm just trying provide the basic gist so you don't drill such a hole where you're not supposed to.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Will 4/0 SER 4 wire fit in a 2" I don't know how to size the outer sheath?
Are you talking about a 2" connector or 2" conduit?
What size splice box would you recommend to splice 4/0 in? Im switching from USE-2 to SER.
You would size it according to 314.28
And lastly can you drill a 2 1/2" through a rim Joyce? Modular homes... screwy!
I would.
2 1/2" since 4/0 triplex with a #4 urd won't fit in a 2" by code.
This sounds a little off. What do you mean? It sounds like a 300.3(B) violation.

JFletcher

here is a quick guide for drilling holes in wood. You can drill a hole up to a third the thickness of the joist, has to be 2" from top or bottom, and not within 2" of another hole. Unless your floor joists are 2x6, you can drill a 2.5" hole in one (or all) of them

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Possible flag on the play ! An actual "modular home" and not a manufactured (mobile) home with a HUD sticker ? If it's manufactured, SER is not allowed by Code as the equipment ground is not insulated.

kwired

Electron manager
Will 4/0 SER 4 wire fit in a 2" I don't know how to size the outer sheath? What size splice box would you recommend to splice 4/0 in? Im switching from USE-2 to SER. And lastly can you drill a 2 1/2" through a rim Joyce? Modular homes... screwy! 2 1/2" since 4/0 triplex with a #4 urd won't fit in a 2" by code.
Please clarify what URD you are trying to pull through. Did not do any calculations but pretty sure I have done exactly what you seem to be asking about many times. Now if you consider the URD to be a single cable assembly then 2-1/2 inch may not even be large enough as you need to use 53% fill for a single conductor/cable, which I think would apply if all conductors are arranged so that they have to pull together.

If you have a URD triplex that has to be pulled as a single cable assembly plus a separate 4 AWG EGC, (which is what I think you were trying to describe) then you essentially have 2 conductors and a 31% fill limitation.

I often use XHHW conductors though and not URD so that makes a difference as it can use 40% fill. But if you untwist your URD conductors you are going to be in the 40% application. Main place this comes in handy is for making turns in conduit bodies or pull boxes.

A SE cable will be a single cable and 53% fill applies and will not pull through conduit bodies unless oversized. There is no fill limitation on a protective sleeve though.

Also beware of the mentioned requirement for an insulated EGC if it applies to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.