4 14 nmb through 1 drilled hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So suppose you drill a 7/8" hole through a 2x, and bang in a 1-1/2" length of the plastic channel pictured below. [The diagonal is 0.9", so I think it should friction fit.] And then you pass one NM cable through each of the 4 openings created, and then foam the whole thing. Have you successfully sidestepped the 334.80 requirement? Either by (a) creating 4 holes instead of 1, or (b) "maintaining spacing"?

Not important with #14 or #12 NM with just 8 CCCs, but would matter with more than 9 CCCs. Which might require a larger overall hole and divider.

Cheers, Wayne

Capture.JPG

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
yeah Larry......b.b.b.but....>>>

310.15(B)(3)(a) Adjustment Factors.

(a) More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors. Where the number of current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable exceeds three,

~RJ~
Did you see post #20, that cable is 4 CCC's.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
We run 12-2-2 for 20A circuits.

The derating rule applies. But you derate from the actual ampacity of the conductors...and get a value that exceeds what we are allowed to use because of the 'small conductor rule's. So in this case the requirements for derating don't make a practical difference n

Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
yes, so do we run 10-2-2 for 20A circuits now, or does the 24" rule apply for 2" of fire caulked holes for 12-2-2 ?

~RJ~
The 24" bundling rule and the fire stopped hole rule are two different requirements not dependent on each other.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
yes, so do we run 10-2-2 for 20A circuits now, or does the 24" rule apply for 2" of fire caulked holes for 12-2-2 ?

~RJ~
Two 12-2-2 cables are still fine on a 20 amp OCPD even with the required ampacity adjustment. NM conductors are 90°C conductors and the ampacity adjustment starts with the 90°C ampacities. An ampacity adjustment for 10 AWG, 90°C and smaller conductors does not really change anything for the installation until you exceed 9 conductors.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The 24" bundling rule and the fire stopped hole rule are two different requirements not dependent on each other.
so your going to tell me i can stuff a 23" nipple with as many 12-2-2's as i can fit (notes to cp 9 not applicable), but not run a 12-2-2 thru 2" of foam????

~RJ~

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Two 12-2-2 cables are still fine on a 20 amp OCPD even with the required ampacity adjustment. NM conductors are 90°C conductors and the ampacity adjustment starts with the 90°C ampacities. An ampacity adjustment for 10 AWG, 90°C and smaller conductors does not really change anything for the installation until you exceed 9 conductors.
334.80 referrers to table 310.15(B)(3)(a) Don

in one passage it accepts the exception to Table 310.15(B)(3)(a)., in the other it claims 310.15(A)(2), does not apply

310.15(B)(3)(a) Adjustment Factors.

(a) More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors. Where the number of current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable exceeds three, or where single conductors or multiconductor cables are installed without maintaining spacing for a continuous length longer than 600 mm (24 in.) and are not installed in raceways, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be reduced as shown in table 31o.15(B)(3)(a).

some clarity would be appreciated

thx

~RJ~

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
334.80 talks about "derating" if 2 or more installed thru hole without maintaining space. Question, how much space does it need to not need to be adjust? It doesn't seem to define space.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
334.80 talks about "derating" if 2 or more installed thru hole without maintaining space. Question, how much space does it need to not need to be adjust? It doesn't seem to define space.
Actually it says more than 2 cables, but you're right can you actually maintain spacing in a single hole and if so how large does it need to be?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I tried to raise that question in post #23, but got no response.

Cheers, Wayne
well your aim is the 'rule of 9' Wayne, so is Don's , 334.80 will take you there, but two separate 'hard to read' passages make some translation appreciable

seriously , i can't believe i pay tax $$$'s for people to write regulatory bureaucracy to the point where we need to even ask this

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.