4-Gang Weatherproof Switch Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobbsj

In a screen porch there is a four gang box with four switches. I would like to use a 4-gang weather proof switch cover. This may not be required by the inspector but should be done since heavy wind driven rain could get in. I can find 1 to 3-gang switch covers but not 4 gang.

Should I split the box up into two 2-gang boxes. This would mean some brick work. But will do if that is only solution.

Anyone know where I can buy 4-gang box?

dobbsj

4-gang cover only

4-gang cover only

I am using a 4 gang box that is flush with brick. All I am looking for is a waterproof cover. Depending on the cover I would make a flat surface for a gasket to seal properly.

I like the bubble covers made by Pass Seymour. But they don't make these in 4-gang it seems.

Thanks for your help.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
WP Toggle Covers

WP Toggle Covers

I like the weatherproof toggle type covers, with the plastic switch lever. These are much easier to use than having to open the bubble cover, often while carrying groceries, etc. But I have never seen them in more than 2 gang. I've never tried cutting and piecing them together for spacing. I've done that with some other type covers if I had to and made them look fair. Might be a possibility. I know it's a pain to separate the boxes in brick.

jmellc

Occupation
3 gang?

3 gang?

By the way, what type of 3 gang WP cover have you seen and where? I don't think I've ever seen a 3 gang WP cover. The toggle type come in 1 and 2 g, bubble covers in 1 and 2g, all the ones I remember seeing.

I never put more than a 2 g box on a porch for that reason. I'll put 2 2 g or a 2 and 1, whatever to add up to what's needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have installed a 3 gang wp cover- had to special order it but I have never seen a 4 gang.

I can't recall the brand of the 3 gang but I know it exists.

480sparky

..........I can't recall the brand of the 3 gang but I know it exists.

Garvin.
HoltBlueDot.jpg

jmellc

Occupation
Manufacturers should help out

Manufacturers should help out

Manufacturers should help us out here. 3 and 4 gang wp covers shouldn't be something we have to search long and hard for. Enough people do stuff on porches, decks, etc. that the need is there. As stated earlier, I plan for it by not exceeding 2g box, but I had to learn that the hard way.

We should all hit the mfr's with emails and letters. Letters actually get more notice these days, as they are fewer in number. E mails can easily get lost in electronic shuffle or mistaken for SPAM.

iwire

Staff member
Truthfully I do not think weatherproof covers are made to be used with 'gang boxes'

So unless you have a four gang WP box you would never need a 4 gang WP cover.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Truthfully I do not think weatherproof covers are made to be used with 'gang boxes'

So unless you have a four gang WP box you would never need a 4 gang WP cover.
Why do you say that? A recessed two gang box will accept some 2 gang wp switch plates. I agree some gang plates are designed only for a surface wp box.

dobbsj

Found one

Found one

Thanks to everyone for help. A rep from P&S told me about Mulberry. They make a 4gang WP cover for 4gang box and have them in stock. P&S rep said they are only mfg who makes one.

iwire

Staff member
Why do you say that? A recessed two gang box will accept some 2 gang wp switch plates.

Sure it fits, I do not think that makes it right.

Not saying I may not have done such things but IMO that is likely a violation as there is no way the cover could be tested to seal against whatever wall surface the recessed box happens to be mounted to. WP covers are desineged to seal against the edge of a FS type box.

We run into this for some of our supermarket customers, we have to recess FS style boxes in tile walls to make the installation water tight. (Deli Wash-down areas etc)

jmellc

Occupation
Residential porch, nail up boxes are often roughed into the wall and WP covers installed over the devices. Never had an inspector turn that down. Same with cut in boxes. A bead of caulk around the cover insures a good seal. Why the trouble of recessing a WP box into the wall?

jmellc

Occupation
I've found out too, that WP covers do not usually seal well against an FS box or bell box without a bead of caulk. The gaskets in most cases are flimsy and leave gaps. A few newer covers have molded gaskets attached, some better but still needs caulk.

jmellc

Occupation
Thanks for the info on Mulberry Metal Co. I just found their website, mulberrymetal.com and saw the 4g toggle cover. I am faxing them now at 908-688-7294 to ask about a local dealer. This is good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.