4" RGS Elbow

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you're interested, you can see the conduits wrap around the ledge and actually don't touch it.

(Please note that I did not run the 1-1/4" conduit; the cellular technician did.)

Pretty cool!!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No it's about 3,000' pvc coated and 7,000' RGS non coated.

THey are actually seriously considering changing the RGS(non pvc coated) to RMC aluminum. Would aluminum be any easier than RGS?
Aluminum is easier to work with becuse it much lighter. Everything else is pretty much the same, bending, threading, etc.

Yes PVC coated RMC can be field bent.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Bending vs. Pre-bend and cutting and threading a nipple, not much of a difference. With 4" RMC the difference will come when you try to spin on a elbow on a full 10' length of conduit. Then you'll wish that you had a manufactured elbow with a nipple.
If your making a horizontal 90 degree turn why would you need a nipple?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If your making a horizontal 90 degree turn why would you need a nipple?
Because otherwise, you could need a 7 or 8' circle to spin a bent stick onto the previous piece.

With an elbow, you can add the straight nipple to the elbow after it has been spun into place.

Thin about which end of an Allen wrench you need to use depending on the space around it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So again, what would determine whether the foreman uses a prefab or bends a 90 for this?
As Larry stated spinning the elbow on is one reason why you would use a manufactured elbow. Also minimum size. A 881 Greenlee bender will bend a 4" elbow at a minimum of about 36". Factory elbows are typcially several inches shorter so if 36" ends up too big you might need a factory elbow.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Being PVC coated is another reason to field bend if you have a number of bends....as I recall the PVC coated couplings are pretty expensive.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What about hand wrapping with tape after using a standard coupling? Thoughts?
Then you have not installed the system as designed. I would expect the engineer to reject that if PVC coated conduit was specified.

The last time I did PVC coated rigid was about 20 years ago...a 3/4" coupling was $22 then. Expect a 4" would be over a $150 now.