4 Sq Box Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

Can't you grab a piece of wood and mount the piece in vertical behind the box, then
send a screw through?

Since bolts are allowed use a toggle bolt and measure and cut the difference, using
the toggle end use a large washer and send a bolt behind it and then two more bolts
to snug to the box. If the face of the washer is at inside gysum board edge, the toggle
bolt can compress into the sheet when placed againest it!

I have and ususally like to always use a bay span bracket for switches, and use the right
angle brackets for receptacles. I never like to place a receptacle againest the framing
because of the door splashes and it's usually odd looking in the end if and when finished out.
I've added framing to push the box away from openings in more than one occassion.

GerryB

Was that the staff meeting where they discussed how to flag installations where there is no real safety issue? I wonder if a copy of the minutes are available.

Probably the same meeting from the post where they decided you can't use a cut in box in new construction. Seriously though see how we all invented the "smart box", the plastic box with the screws that are recessed when you seat them. Like Dennis said "in a pinch" you do stuff like that. You don't do it on a regular basis because you're not sure it's right but mainly because it usually not as easy as doing it the right way. If you think about it I bet you can think of a lot of "in a pinch" inventions in our trade. Get one of your own and you can retire.:D

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Because there's a code section that talks about mounting screws.

And that section only concerns exposed threads of the screws, not the "heads" of said screws.

314.23(B)(1)

(1) Nails and Screws. Nails and screws, where used as a
fastening means, shall be attached by using brackets on the
outside of the enclosure, or they shall pass through the interior
within 6 mm (1?4 in.) of the back or ends of the enclosure.
Screws shall not be permitted to pass through the box unless
exposed threads in the box are protected using approved
means to avoid abrasion of conductor insulation.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Then read what it says right after the part you have in red.

I did read it, it says the "threads" have to be protected, nothing about the heads of screws.

Also, running a screw through the side isn't running a screw through the whole box as the code refers to.

Last edited:

Nom Deplume

314.23(B)(1) refers to the old nail on boxes that had the nail going completely through the box. It addresses screws if used and not a screw going through the side wall into a framing member.

Like these.
31WLd0JvhHL._SY300_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.