4 Way Switch - Always Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregs86

Occupation
Project Manager
My previous post was taken down, I believe due to the moderator believing I am not working in industry. I am a licensed HVAC PE in the state of NY. I am a licensed home inspector in the state of NY. I am also a contractor in the state of NY. Not sure why I wouldn't be allowed to ask a question. Also, it said to PM the moderator if I had any questions, however I could not for the life of me find a way to PM the moderator. So I am reposting with my qualifications stated.

I have 3 entrances to my room and will be installing a 2 gang box at each door. Each 2 gang box will have a 4 way switch operating the main room lights plus an additional light switch for other purposes (exterior, stair, garage, I'll call these the B switches). Do I need to bring 2 separate power feeds to each box? Or is it possible to wire my 4 ways so they are always hot and I can pull power from each 4 way to feed each respective B switch. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I still don't see anything in your post that says you are an electrician or have worked in the field. HVAC and home inspector does not qualify. Also contractor is not specific....

gregs86

Occupation
Project Manager
I am a general contractor building an addition to a house for a client. I am not sure what else you want. What are you looking for?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Greg, unlike many electrical forums, the owner of this one has chosen to cater only to professional electricians and engineers, mainly for liability reasons. If your electrician was asking the question, it wouldn't be an issue, except that most electricians wouldn't need to ask such a question.

So, where are you, and who is doing the wiring?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am a general contractor building an addition to a house for a client. I am not sure what else you want. What are you looking for?
We are looking for any evidence that you are a qualified person in the electrical industry. Your question doesn't bear that out. I would suggest you hire a licensed electrician to do the work since you are only a general contractor. Your client will thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.