4-way switch for CL I, Div 2, Group A

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmspe

Occupation
PE
Not having any luck finding a 4-way switch for lights. Any suggestions on manufacturer and model? Crouse Hinds FSPC 216 series has SPST and 3-way, but no 4-way. This is for a welding supply store warehouse. Looks like the EC bid the job without reading the specs and bid based on using standard switches rather than XP. The EC reports he has talked to the Fire Marshall and that all the FM will require is a >>> Class II <<< installation. As the PE I'm not signing off on that. They're half way through construction and this is just coming up. In this area the PE does not do any inspections or construction administration on most projects, so I have not been on site. It's 5 hours away from my office, so dropping by is not an option. I see this one going downhill fast.

Martin

D

Dickieboy

Isnt that CH 3 way available in a douple pole arrangement ,you can add jumpers to make it into a 4-way. I once got into this when someone said that a 4 way was nothing more than 2 stacked 3 ways. A big argument ensued but he was right. It may take a little thinking but can be done.

dick

KentAT

I'm not sure if the FSPC can have more than one 3-way in it... not really mentioned in the catalog.

If not, have you looked at the Crouse-Hinds OAC2139 (3/4 in.) or OAC3139 (1 in.)? I think they wuold work for you. I believe they have 2 sets of contacts, both being operated by the 2-position selector switch at the same time. I think that's what they mean by a "single operating both buttons" operating lever.

If so, they could be wired up like this, using jumpers like Dick mentioned...

http://www.crouse-hinds.com/catalog/pdfs/00406to00408.pdf

Kent

4-way-1.jpg

Last edited:

KentAT

Some things of concern:
(1) if the jumpers are installed within the switch chamber, the unit must be available non-factory-sealed, and some terminals will have two conductors - would that be OK or approved as far as the terminals? and is there enough room in the switch chamber?

(2) if the jumpers are installed outside of the switch chamber, is there enough room in the housing body, or might it require a junction box to provide for the jumpers? If this is the case, I'm thinking there should be a seal first (non-factory sealed for Grp. A), then a JB.

(3) Since the specs identify that Grp. A are not rated for factory sealing - must you specify that they are for Grp. A or maybe just request to not be sealed?

(4) the ED22 switches used inside the OAC are only rated 10A continuous - might have to use a contactor for the amount of lighting a "welding supply warehouse" might require, or split it up into several circuits

Kent

D

Dickieboy

Good points I don't have any ref material available,so no solutions .

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.