4-Wire from meter socket to service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer

The utility I work with requries 4-wire from the meter socket to service disconnect. The inspector requiring this is deceased. No paper work. Would someone be able to lead us to another utility that requries this and would share their requirements? Or is this all listed in NEC and there would be articles in regards to meter socket,4-wire to disconnect on outside of house with breaker panel 25ft. inside house. The ground and neutral bonded at meter socket,disconnect has ground bar and neutral bar isolated, green screw removed. main log panel in house same ground bar and neutral bar lsolated green screw removed.
All meter loops don't have the disconnect on outside and panel on inside of house but this one we really need help because of the green screws in or out. It not like a nornal subpanel.
Thanks if someone could get requirments or code articles for this hook-up.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Since part of your opening post is mentioning a house, I assume you are talking about a single phase supply, probably a 120 / 240 Volt supply from a single step down transformer.

What I understand you to be saying is that the electric utility you work for requires that the "grounded service conductor" between the meter socket and the service disconnecting means is required to be not one, but always at least two grounded service conductors.

There is no basis in the National Electrical Code to require two grounded service conductors between the meter socket and the service disconnect for a simple 120 / 240 Volt single phase residential 100 or 200 Amp service.

In my opinion, with the passing of the former inspector, you have, as an electric utility, the opportunity to come into agreement with the National Electrical Code (and the bulk of the rest of America).

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Since part of your opening post is mentioning a house, I assume you are talking about a single phase supply, probably a 120 / 240 Volt supply from a single step down transformer.

What I understand you to be saying is that the electric utility you work for requires that the "grounded service conductor" between the meter socket and the service disconnecting means is required to be not one, but always at least two grounded service conductors.

There is no basis in the National Electrical Code to require two grounded service conductors between the meter socket and the service disconnect for a simple 120 / 240 Volt single phase residential 100 or 200 Amp service.

In my opinion, with the passing of the former inspector, you have, as an electric utility, the opportunity to come into agreement with the National Electrical Code (and the bulk of the rest of America).
Yes, and avoid other code issues as well with this previously required "rule"of the old inspector. I'm always amazed at local written/unwritten rules that I see and hear about that have no basis in the NEC and in fact create other violations and/or hazards. Somebody could write a book on all the local rules, urban legends, etc. that are out there, many of which are hazards.

boomer

4-Wire from meter socket to service disconnect

Thanks for your comments, yes the services are 100-200 amps 120-240 volt single phase.
As we kept looking for code related articles and getting confused with subpanels requirement main concern is safety. Your comments answered our questions, no code requirements, not a new wiring pratice in the field. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.