4 wire to range and dryer

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
We installed a generator w/ automatic transfer switch on a house that was built prior to 1996 recently. The inspector turned down the job. Not for anything regarding the generator, but he said that we needed to pull new 4 wire circuits to the range and dryer!!! I don't know the entire story behind it but I'm going to find out. Has anyone ever had a problem with this or have any input that you could share with me as to why this would an issue? Thanks in advance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you ended up with the existing panel being a sub-panel then he is correct. How is the ATS setup where it is not service rated?

Joe Villani

Is it type SE cable?

If so, in the 2023 would allow this, if you insulate or cover the bare wire in the SE cable you could comply with 250.140(B)(5).

It's interesting how in one code cycle it's not permitted but in another is becomes fine.

I realize Florida is not on the 2023, but the NFPA doesn't see this as an issue.

I would talk to the inspector or ahj presenting from the 2023 code perspective and see if they would allow it..

If the cabling is not type SE I'm afraid your out of luck

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Stupid rule, see if your ahj I fine with just tape the bare white.

Not like all of the sudden the building going to blow up and destroy the neighborhood.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
And what would you do in situations where it would be impossible to run a new wire without gutting part of the house?

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
And what would you do in situations where it would be impossible to run a new wire without gutting part of the house?
That's the issue. It is a 2 story home and installing new wire for the range and dryer is going to be pricey and require a lot of drywall removal and repair.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was once granted permission to white-tape SE cable neutrals for an ATS install. The inspector was pleased that I knew what the rules were.

The panel was in a separate garage with only a breezeway roof connecting the garage to the middle of the side of a two-story brick house.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
IDK how that really solves anything.
Solves any current running back on any metal parts!!! Without ripping into the walls. I get it if walls are open.

Or wait I’ll just label it an emergency disconnect now it’s all safe.
(Can’t do in oregon since they amended that part)
Dump rule
Ahj like it so I am fine with tapping

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Solves any current running back on any metal parts!!! Without ripping into the walls. I get it if walls are open.

Or wait I’ll just label it an emergency disconnect now it’s all safe.
(Can’t do in oregon since they amended that part)
Dump rule
Ahj like it so I am fine with tapping
The washer sitting next to is at different potential, as are the water lines, unless somehow the dryer comes in contact, then we have the current flow.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
The washer sitting next to is at different potential, as are the water lines, unless somehow the dryer comes in contact, then we have the current flow.
Ya but you have that regardless of what you do upstream.
If you do what op did or walk away nothing has changed as far as what you stated. I do see your point.
Gfci breaker would take care of what you proposed

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If its ungrounded romex you can do a 250.130(C), run a #10 solid green back to any accessible point on the Grounding Electrode Conductor.
As long as 250.130(C) is adopted in your state, I think I read on here some states do not allow it.