40% conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am thinking he is confusion the words not less than and more than. More than is used in art. 680.12 but it means the same.

Sparky shouldn't you be licensed to do this work? Also have you put down an equipotential bonding around the tub???
yes i probably should be...but i'm in my 4th year of IBEW apprenticeship and I did residential remodeling for 2 years before that. Because work is so slow we are rotating being laid off for 2 months at a time. I just take side jobs for good friends of mine that own their homes and can pull homeowners permits. I always make sure I feel 100% confident before I install.

but this hot tub turned out to be harder than I thought.

what equipotential bonding? there is no metal anything and all of the boxes i will install will be of the non metalic type wet location.

cool. thanks guys. i really appreciate this site. my training has mainly been in commercial and big jobs, but i'm just an apprentice so i just do what i'm told. its not my job to make decisions. but when i do these small side jobs i really learn a lot. but i'm nervous for a red tag. mainly my ego, but i want to be a great electrician...and i'm just starting out.

should i hand off this hot tub gig to a proper C-10? i might just do that, and ask if i can help for free.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
should i hand off this hot tub gig to a proper C-10? i might just do that,
and ask if i can help for free.

I admire your tenacity and drive however I think it would be wise to let someone who, hopefully, has a good understanding of this. Hot tubs are not something to mess with without experience. The equal potential bonding is difficult enough for those of us with lots of experience.

Keep learning and to be quite frank, you have a pretty good understanding of hot tub installs for an apprentice. IMO.

thanks guys.

here's the overview of the job:

220v 40a 4 wire hot tub (3#6) 50a 2pole breaker
5k gallon above ground pool with 14a pump with 3ft twist lock cord (3#10 ground included) 20a gfci breaker

From the main panel 3/4 emt with grounding bushings run along side of house to back of house. Jbox transition to 1" pvc. FEED spa gfci 50a disconnect (space included for 15a general purpose receptacle gfi)
FEED pool pump disconnect (motor rated wet location switch) then feed pool pump 20a recptacle.

I ALREADY STARTED RUNNING THE PIPE AND I BOUGHT THE WIRE! ok. i'll hand it off. lesson learned.

ok. i know. but i thought if my friend pulled a home owners permit he could technically do the work himself, so what is the difference if i help him out? i know. im not out bidding crazy big jobs, but during these weeks i have off. i thought i could help my friends out...if it really is that serious i will totally stop. but it would be worse if my friend did work on his own to save money..right.

shoot. i checked and my city doesn''t require a "professional" plumber or electrician to do certain types of work. as long as we install it safely...is it ok to "consult"?

Volta

ok. i know. but i thought if my friend pulled a home owners permit he could technically do the work himself, so what is the difference if i help him out? i know. im not out bidding crazy big jobs, but during these weeks i have off. i thought i could help my friends out...if it really is that serious i will totally stop. but it would be worse if my friend did work on his own to save money..right.

shoot. i checked and my city doesn''t require a "professional" plumber or electrician to do certain types of work. as long as we install it safely...is it ok to "consult"?

Oh, there isn't any one answer that can make everybody happy . . . ever :roll:. But if you're not in an area that requires any licensing or certification, then you helping him is loads better than letting him do it alone. You sound like you are giving him some good work.

But electricity and water are places to tread very carefully. I've been doing this for over twenty years and if I go to look at a pool or hot tub installation I usually literally carry my NEC to that walk through. Article 680 has a lot of details in it and many sections in it change and it is too important to miss something. It doesn't take much current to parlalyze someone and being in the water is about the worst place to be if it happens.

i absolutely respect that advice. on tuesday i'm going to call a good residential contractor... actually the guy that told me i should just do this myself. but im a new homeowner and i don't want to do anything to risk all of what i have worked so hard for nor do i want to be responsible for a terrible event. i'm 24 and i have savings till i get back to work in a month. i obviously have more to learn and i don't have the insurance or license to learn as i go.

just for the record. i never falsely said i was ever licensed. al side jobs i have done have been less than $600 and have been permitted and inspected and my friends all know im an apprentice. they all want me to get my own truck and start a company.

but the union gig is great and my training has been wonderful (minus any mention of hot tub code).

ill just bartend to make some extra cash

i absolutely respect that advice. on tuesday i'm going to call a good residential contractor... actually the guy that told me i should just do this myself. but im a new homeowner and i don't want to do anything to risk all of what i have worked so hard for nor do i want to be responsible for a terrible event. i'm 24 and i have savings till i get back to work in a month. i obviously have more to learn and i don't have the insurance or license to learn as i go.

just for the record. i never falsely said i was ever licensed. al side jobs i have done have been less than $600 and have been permitted and inspected and my friends all know im an apprentice.

but the union gig is great and my training has been wonderful (minus any mention of hot tub code).

ill just bartend to make some extra cash

Status
Not open for further replies.