400 amp - dividing into two 200 amp circuits - drawing with parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyMan100

Occupation
GC
Hello,
As all main electric panels for 2 meter sockets (400 amp incoming 1 phase, 240 v to two 200 amp meter sockets for service two office suites) are back ordered since last year. We are stuck where we have the building and no meter panel to service the building.
I was wondering if anyone know or have built up such an arrangement using 3 panel boxes as follows:
1) One main 400 amp 240 v panel box with two branch circuits
2) Two 200 amp meter socket boxes for serving the two branch circuits

If you have built or know how to build one using off the shelf electric panel boxes, please let me know what parts I need to do this.
I have talked to my electric company and they are ok if I provide them the drawing with part numbers.
Any other alternate suggestions that will work is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Sunny

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
how would you be planning to get around the prohibition on having more than one feeder serving a structure?
Same as one meter feeding two main disconnects. Here, he would have two meters after the split instead of one before it. I would think any temporary enclosure with appropriate insulated splices would work.

Your POCO's approved standard 200a meter sockets should work, and they know the parts. This basically sounds like you'd be building a typical duplex-building style service, only it's (hopefully) for temporary use.

Hello,
As all main electric panels for 2 meter sockets (400 amp incoming 1 phase, 240 v to two 200 amp meter sockets for service two office suites) are back ordered since last year. We are stuck where we have the building and no meter panel to service the building.
I was wondering if anyone know or have built up such an arrangement using 3 panel boxes as follows:

If you have built or know how to build one using off the shelf electric panel boxes, please let me know what parts I need to do this.
I have talked to my electric company and they are ok if I provide them the drawing with part numbers.

Thanks,
Sunny
Your description is kind of confusing. Can you just build it out of separate meter sockets rather than a single multi gang socket?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello,

Thanks,
Sunny

Why aren't you asking your electrician. He should be able to work this out for you. If I understand what you are asking then this is done often... One 400 amp meter base and 2- 200 amp wp panels to each side of the base.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why aren't you asking your electrician. He should be able to work this out for you. If I understand what you are asking then this is done often... One 400 amp meter base and 2- 200 amp wp panels to each side of the base.
He's saying that there are no 400a meter bases available, but he got permission to use two 200a bases.

I'm suggesting he build what is effectively a typical duplex service.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
He's saying that there are no 400a meter bases available, but he got permission to use two 200a bases.

I thought he had meter mains. Well that would be the other option. 400 amp meter main to feed 2- inside ML 200 amp panels or exterior 200 amp ML panels

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would not use 2- 200 amp meter bases as they will charge a monthly fee for the second meter base. What about using a CT cabinet with 2- 200 amp panels. Put a 100 amp meter base atop or below the CT cabinet.

SunnyMan100

Occupation
GC
how would you be planning to get around the prohibition on having more than one feeder serving a structure?
I wanted to clarify several questions asked by adding a diagram, but can't find how to attach a file to the post, it is all looking for a link and not a file on my computer

Attachments

• ElectricalLayout.pdf
    274.8 KB · Views: 41

SunnyMan100

Occupation
GC

All meter bases that takes 400 amp service and splits into 2 x 200 amp meter sockets for serving 2 suites are backordered - MPH42200 from Square D or Siemens WP4212 are all back ordered and no one is giving an ETA for buying these. Hence, I am looking to building my own 400 amp main panel with load divider bus bars that will split to two 200 amp meter bases (these are available) and use cables to connect the two meter sockets from the main 400 amp panel and have CB disconnects at the main and for each meter base
I have a drawing showing this, but can't figure out how to attach to the post

Last edited:

SunnyMan100

Occupation
GC
My Electrician is not an engineer and is not confidant of building this using off the shelf hardware

SunnyMan100

Occupation
GC

Yes, I need a duplex service, but do not the part numbers for the 400 amp main panel that I need that will have a distributer to split the load into 2 x 200 amp branch circuits, and then I will use the single 200 amp meter socket panels and interconnect them with disconnects, essentially create the single combo duplex panels by using 3 panels

topgone

I would not use 2- 200 amp meter bases as they will charge a monthly fee for the second meter base. What about using a CT cabinet with 2- 200 amp panels. Put a 100 amp meter base atop or below the CT cabinet.
Good catch! Simple things that make you bleed more than if you have chosen to do it thinking out of the box! I believe your scheme is better. Using CTs, that is!

SunnyMan100

Occupation
GC
Good catch! Simple things that make you bleed more than if you have chosen to do it thinking out of the box! I believe your scheme is better. Using CTs, that is!
If you read all reviews carefully, these are mom and pop shops selling everything including these panels, and don't ship and take a while to return money. I ordered it with one such vendor who said it will ship immediately and they did not even confirm my order after full payment for days out, and I just canceled it. If you call all major electrical distributors, you will see the same scenario across board. All of these might be sitting on a ship in LA port waiting clearance from Customs (China trade embargo).
I have ordered this part with Lowes in Nov - 2021, and had delivery date of Jan-11, but now it has been pushed to March - 30th

SunnyMan100

Occupation
GC
Thanks, If you have a drawing with part numbers, that will be very helpful to understand and run it by my electric company

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It is really against the forum policy to be doing this. I would suggest getting a different electrician if he can't figure this out. This is not that difficult.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.